Coffee anyone ?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow. 48 out and a mere 63 inside. I'll use a portable heater for chill this morn. Actually used my heated mattress pad last night šŸ¤”. Slept well. Not a fan of cold. Work today, so a couple hrs and heater back off.

Two more days of this drizzle and winter temps. Sunshine, please hurry back. šŸ„¶

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee at hand, it's going to be a slow start to today - fog is rolling in. Guess I'll start with the inside things to get done.
IMG_2949.jpeg

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good morning all. Beautiful crisp morning in East Texas. Warm up to mid 80ā€™s later. Saw some deer in the north pasture. They took off possibly after my stomach growled. Iā€™m intermittent fasting and walking. This summer I gained weight thatā€™s got to go and now that my knee is better itā€™s time to get after it. I have a pleasant half mile to the mailbox plus walking the fences.A huge oak branch fell at feed time. It was lucky nobody was under it and it didnā€™t hit the perimeter fence. Good firewood but the catch is my house has a gas fireplace. Wood everywhere and a gas fireplace :eek: which due to placement is impossible to convert. Iā€™m thinking wood stove but Hubbs is against it. Heā€™s not the pessimist I am. Any thoughts on stoves? (argh another 90 minutes to fast.
Growl, growl)

Last edited:

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could get a small wood burning heater with a flat top for maybe a pot of beans.

Iā€™ve seen those and they look cool. Or hot. Handy. Boy weā€™re you ever right about leaving the gumbo clay behind. Easier on the feet, no Herman Munster boots after a walk in the pasture. No mud balls between the dogā€™s toes. Sand does get in the house but a breeze to sweep up. Based on how the dogs go after the gophers digging a garden may be easier too.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sand was a cake walk after black gumbo clay! Iā€™m on a mix of the two now. A loan with a little more clay than sand. Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ll have mud when it rains. But not gumbo mud!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Up early, had coffee, did chores, planning to go to work. DD called to say a goat was out, as she's leaving for work. My plans change.

Out the door, find 3 goats as I head to their lot....they reverse and trot off. šŸ¤”šŸ¤Ø I shake the feed scoop, they turn. Didn't see escape until they ate and quickly showed it to me!:mad:. I left for things to fix it. Not interested in feed this time, so after a while, got them rounded up and back in. Stood and watched as they tried to find that "spot". Laughed and walked...still in 4 hrs later. šŸ‘šŸ™

You never know what a day will bring! šŸ„“šŸ˜‚

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good morning all. Beautiful crisp morning in East Texas. Warm up to mid 80ā€™s later. Saw some deer in the north pasture. They took off possibly after my stomach growled. Iā€™m intermittent fasting and walking. This summer I gained weight thatā€™s got to go and now that my knee is better itā€™s time to get after it. I have a pleasant half mile to the mailbox plus walking the fences.A huge oak branch fell at feed time. It was lucky nobody was under it and it didnā€™t hit the perimeter fence. Good firewood but the catch is my house has a gas fireplace. Wood everywhere and a gas fireplace :eek: which due to placement is impossible to convert. Iā€™m thinking wood stove but Hubbs is against it. Heā€™s not the pessimist I am. Any thoughts on stoves? (argh another 90 minutes to fast.
Growl, growl)
After living with several different wood stove models... pick any NON catalytic, EPA certified wood stove. As long as there is a tiny bit of flat surface on top, you can boil water. So, I wouldn't pick a cookstove version. Most cookstove types are NOT EPA certified and will NOT hold a fire. A bit of flat top works great.

Within the above category, there are lots of options, depending on how much money and space you have.

But really, as long as it is NOT catalytic, but IS EPA certified you will be happy.

Well... and make the stove pipe is as straight and vertical as possible.

Clearances are not a joke, meet or exceed.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Alaskan thanks for the advice. Last winter my neighborhood was ground zero for an ice storm and cold temps youā€™ve no doubt heard about (Texas). We were prepared and got along fine. Our new place has gas heat with electric blowers. So Iā€™m thinking a small wood burning stove just in case. There are other options I havenā€™t thought of Iā€™m sure. Hubbā€™s attitude is ā€œwhat are the chances?ā€ My response is ā€œ2020, 2021ā€¦ā€
Or I can stay warm running from the hordes of: gun grabbing goobers, attacking foreign troops, zombies, migrant aliens, or space aliens. Maybe a combination plate, one guy, greenish skin, missing an arm, in uniform, with badge swearing in Chinese. Ok. No more you toob for me :hide