Coffee anyone ?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I sat on my front porch With my first cup at 5:45...watched the sky changing colors, some chickens wandering and thought "next year this is what I want to be able to do every day". Just take it in. It was nice to see I had been able to mow down the tall tops from a small pasture in the front -- there's about 10" of grass for the mares to graze....once I inspect and make any repairs to the hot wire around it. This is an "occasional" pasture that used to be mowed for a huge yard, until the light came on one day. Now I graze it a week or two, then cut, grow and repeat. :D Working today & tomorrow but, then off for 4 days -- in a row!! wooohooo Fence gets checked then, charger is solar and fully charged. A knock you on your butt one.

Next week I will be removing the 4 buck kids from the does...they will join my older Nubian buck and the 6 month old breeder kid I bought. The older buck is a friendly guy and can nurture for next couple months. In Sept the 4 bucklings will be sold. Rosh Hashanah will bring good $$ for these. Winter hay pay. :) And with the separation comes more milking time. Three of the four does will still have a doeling to assist but, soon they will be weaned, also. For now it will be , off all night, I get morning milk, etc. I need to get myself & the does back into the swing of things! Cheeses & cream need to be made. Milk frozen for winter -- will keep the best two girls milking into Fall, probably.

A day in the garden will be needed. A day in the house & barn will be needed. This morning on the porch has been nice but "mini vacay" is sure being used up fast. :lol: Ahhh, such is life. It actually sounds pretty good to just have the time to do what I need to do. :caf

In a few hours I will be giving out samples of ice cream at a local WalMart -- yeah, it will be a busy day!! :p:drool:lol:

Hope everyone enjoys their Saturday...…:frow

Last edited:

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We are back into the heat after a week of very nice rain. I am going to try to get a few things done before the worst of the heat today.

Muscovies are migratory, just too many gone feral to determine who is who any more. Domesticated for thousands of years in central and south America. Loved mine! Males grow off fast and ready to butcher in no time. We just used breast, more like pork to my way of thinking than chicken or duck. At a couple weeks old I could reliably determine the bigger males from the smaller females. Very, very smart and personable, too. At least the females are. Mine knew which was bedroom window and would wake me up at dawn so I would go out and feed them. In personality more like a goose, than a duck. Pretty good egg layers IF you can find nests to prevent them from going broody. Not as good as a Khaki Campbell for eggs, but pretty good.

Latest posts