Coffee anyone ?

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Someone had 9 poults on CL, near me, and before I could call to ask what kind -- they were sold! It was good. Not thinking I want to take on any more right now. Of course, that was after they sold and I TRULY thought about any purchase. Do not buy, do not buy! :D Learn to say NO. :rolleyes:

Had my coffee early but, thanks for the offer of more. I have a coffee sampling demo today, so it will be in front of me all day. With that in mind, I get to watch -- in total amazement! -- at how much sugar/creamer some people use. OK, I'm a straight up drinker, occasional touch of cream if really bad coffee. But we use these little cups, you get about 3 oz and some will put 2-3 teaspoons of sugar in it -- that's syrup! :th :D And creamers. Again, the flavored ones just poured in, as much as the coffee volume. I could freeze this for coffee ice cream :lol: Ahhhh...to each his own.

So, last night I made some more nectarine preserves. Free fruit, free sugar. :clap Next week more peaches and apricots. Need to buy another box of small lids for these 1/2 pt jars. I do sometimes do a few pints but, prefer smaller so I can eat & go to another flavor.:) All ready, cooking, jars hot, rings hot and I couldn't "find" lids. Panic mode! Searched, thought and finally DID find a new box of small (had plenty larger) -- don't want that again. Will buy them today! Will have some corn to put up next week. I need to make some cheese. It will be a busy week.

You guys with producing gardens know what it takes (a 9 day week). My garden started late from cold and rain. THEN, once started, got flooded out & over grown with almost 3 weeks of daily rains...I quit! May be able to salvage some area for winter crops...:idunno Hope to as I can still get cole crops, root crops, etc. It is decent here into early Dec most years. This year -- who knows. Weird weather. Noticed fields of crops with huge puddle ponds as I drove yesterday. Farmers not happy.

Have a GREAT Friday....I need to get off to work.:frow
What's a good site to learn to make cheese. Gotta learn before time to breed my goats.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’m enjoying coffee with a little organic molasses in it. Just enough to tweak the flavor not really sweeten. My new lambs have the water bunk figured out- good because of the heat. Heat categories for me are pretty hot, really hot and oh dear. Presently we’re at the low end of pretty hot. Hopefully tomatoes will start ripening. Most stayed green what’s up with that?

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m enjoying coffee with a little organic molasses in it. Just enough to tweak the flavor not really sweeten. My new lambs have the water bunk figured out- good because of the heat. Heat categories for me are pretty hot, really hot and oh dear. Presently we’re at the low end of pretty hot. Hopefully tomatoes will start ripening. Most stayed green what’s up with that?
When the temperature gets too hot or too cold, the tomatoes won't ripen. Something to do with the pigments in the fruit that make them turn red, they need the right temp to generate those orange/red pigments.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm hoping to have some F1 EE's next year. Maybe I'll get my npip too. But I would just send you some eggs if you decided to try or if you have a broody...
That would be great! My EE was a broody once. :(
And what is npip?

I have a coffee sampling demo today, so it will be in front of me all day. With that in mind, I get to watch -- in total amazement! -- at how much sugar/creamer some people use. OK, I'm a straight up drinker, occasional touch of cream if really bad coffee. But we use these little cups, you get about 3 oz and some will put 2-3 teaspoons of sugar in it -- that's syrup! :th :D And creamers. Again, the flavored ones just poured in, as much as the coffee volume. I could freeze this for coffee ice cream :lol: Ahhhh...to each his own.
They want some coffee to go with their sugar! :lol:
I like sugar in my coffee but not extremely sweet. I can do with or without creamer. No flavored coffee or flavored creamer for me. Occasionally I'd add a dash of cinnamon in the coffee grinds before brewing.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When the temperature gets too hot or too cold, the tomatoes won't ripen. Something to do with the pigments in the fruit that make them turn red, they need the right temp to generate those orange/red pigments.
Thanks. Bunking the green tomatoes in the banana basket only does so much. I have a black and red variety that turns completely black but doesn’t ripen. Green beans all burned up. This was a challenging season.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I get to watch -- in total amazement! -- at how much sugar/creamer some people use. OK, I'm a straight up drinker, occasional touch of cream if really bad coffee.
Seems to me like a person might want to taste the coffee first. I know a guy who will put 2-3 liquid "cream cups" in a cup of coffee and a lady that will dump in 4-5 packets of sugar. They don't even know if the coffee is "bad" first. I put some heavy cream in the coffee I make at home, no sugar. If I'm out there may or may not be sugar necessary but usually does want a bit of cream (half and half at best).

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I canned 27 pints and 4 half pints of elderberry syrup. Ready for flu season. Our oldest granddaughter is allergic to antibiotics so I’m getting into herbals. I canned 8 pints of spicy sweet pickles. Cleaned up mess, tired now.

Trip slept all morning and went outside a few minutes ago. Still swollen, but much better.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I canned 27 pints and 4 half pints of elderberry syrup. Ready for flu season. Our oldest granddaughter is allergic to antibiotics so I’m getting into herbals. I canned 8 pints of spicy sweet pickles. Cleaned up mess, tired now.
Trip slept all morning and went outside a few minutes ago. Still swollen, but much better.
Nice!

Latest posts