Coffee anyone ?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Best pie ever from elderberry. Mom used to have Dad go pick raspberries/blackberries or cut off sprigs of elderberries. It wasn't just the great amount of sugar used to make it sweet, it has such a unique taste. Haven't had it in probably 20 years.
Did your Mom mix the elderberry juice with the blackberries/raspberries?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What do elderberries taste like?

@Skiesblue Hard to describe. But they must be cooked before consuming. They have to be de-stemmed, the leaves and stems contain toxins and should not be consumed. I use @Devonviolet's recipe for making the syrup. I have ordered dried berries from Amazon, but this year, we went picking. Elderberries are good for the flu, they stop the virus from replicating.

Yes, you are missing out by not having a garden. Fresh vegetables are so darn good. The abundance from one tiny seed is astonishing to me. No matter how many times I plant, the miracle of a seed never fails to amaze me. The harvest of fresh vegetables, canning, freezing and dehydrating, putting them up for winter eating is as natural to me as breathing. I have massive failures, but I have massive success too. Right now in the garden I have zucchini, I make fruit roll ups for the grand kids with cooked, pureed zucchini and frozen Welches grape juice. I have corn that is almost ready to pick, tomatoes, purple hull peas and cucumbers. Earlier I had mustard greens and turnips. We eat a lot of meals out of the garden. BYH has a sister site, www.theeasygarden.com link is on the right side of this page. Lots of information, lots of friendly people who like to help other gardeners. Why don't you check it out?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You lost me at vegan....

How about chocolate covered coffee beans? I love those!

Alaskan....you can get shots of high strength coffee in small containers. Couple ounces. That could work. Alas, not as crushable as a bar but...taste?

-yawn-

The chocolate covered beans probably would have been a good choice.

The bars were decent... definitely not bad, and I sure was glad to have them!

I am about to get off the ferry and head to bed!!

I will catch you all up tomorrow.

From Saint Nilas Island
20180809_194939.jpg

Leaving the small islands to return to Kodiak
20180811_144122.jpg

Beach at Saint Nilas
20180810_165632.jpg

Kodiak harbor when we were getting ready to go to the islands.
20180809_100610.jpg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK Devonviolet...we were both up at a terrible hour :)
Already past cup 2. Flipped over to SS and got involved with the black garlic thread, then search and that lead to some other sites with info on smoking garlic &/or sliced onions in a solar dehydrator, etc. Then on to some market sales product ideas for next year. Yeah, I've been jumping around. One day off, rain for later, downpour late yesterday. Can't do much outside today and was dark when I got up at 3:30. So sideline farm work for next year evolved as I read one little post on SS. :rolleyes: My mind floats.

Made a big pot of chili (yes, TX crew, with beans) for freezer fill. I will process about 10# of peaches and a huge amount of pears, probably 15# sometime today/tonight. Not sure if I will can or freeze them. Depends on how other things go with weather, mood, animals. LOL will be a strange day as I don't have to "be" anywhere. That sounds nice, really.

Everyone must be sleeping in today :idunno:caf

Latest posts