Coffee anyone ?

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have some questions for y'all. Does anyone use essential oil? Do you know how to make them?

Every year I have lots and lots of mint growing. I'd harvest some for tea and use in the chicken coop but would like to find more ways to use them and to preserve them.
I've been looking into this as well..... You basically make a still.... Can be made with your pressure cooker/canner.instead of the piece that caps off the steam, you go up with copper tube, then down to your ice bucket where it coils in the bottom to cool it, the tube comes out the bottom of the bucket and drips into an essenciar. Basically it's a fancy beaker that separates the oil from the water droplets.... Takes a high yield to make a little bit. By with essential oil a little is all you need. You can use the water too! The mint oil is really good to make a spray for critters to treat/prevent lice naturally as well as other pesky bugs like mites and such...

Went to TSC to stock up on some feed in case we can't get out due to flooding/downed trees...... Pigs will be getting some cattle feed mixed in to their hog feed since it was on sale. It will make their stuff stretch further, four bags on 50% discount all because they had a hole in the bag.... Feed still looks good! Cost more for the chickens than it did for the horse!:ep
IMG_20180913_142008.jpg

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've been looking into this as well..... You basically make a still.... Can be made with your pressure cooker/canner.instead of the piece that caps off the steam, you go up with copper tube, then down to your ice bucket where it coils in the bottom to cool it, the tube comes out the bottom of the bucket and drips into an essenciar. Basically it's a fancy beaker that separates the oil from the water droplets.... Takes a high yield to make a little bit. By with essential oil a little is all you need. You can use the water too! The mint oil is really good to make a spray for critters to treat/prevent lice naturally as well as other pesky bugs like mites and such...

Sounds good, however I do not have a pressure cooker.
I read somewhere(today) that you can cook the mint leaves in the crockpot with a little water. Then leave the liquid in the fridge. A thin film of oil will form and once cooled will harden. Then you just scrape the oil off the water.
https://www.diynatural.com/diy-essential-oils/

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score

Went to TSC to stock up on some feed in case we can't get out due to flooding/downed trees...... Pigs will be getting some cattle feed mixed in to their hog feed since it was on sale. It will make their stuff stretch further, four bags on 50% discount all because they had a hole in the bag.... Feed still looks good! Cost more for the chickens than it did for the horse!:epView attachment 52109
:th

Up here feed is around 20 bucks per 50 pound bag.

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds good, however I do not have a pressure cooker.
I read somewhere(today) that you can cook the mint leaves in the crockpot with a little water. Then leave the liquid in the fridge. A thin film of oil will form and once cooled will harden. Then you just scrape the oil off the water.
https://www.diynatural.com/diy-essential-oils/
That sounds fairly simple...

it ranges here..... It was 50% because there were holes in the bags that they taped shut.....

https://www.facebook.com/1806786822869482/posts/2189586454589515/
Video of flooding already happening in New Bern, NC

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I always look for damaged bags @TSC! :D One day I got them with another 10% off for the neighbors coupon. :clap

Yep, that FIY oil deal sounds almost tooooo easy. :lol: Eventually I will try it. No plant material right now.

WOW -- Newbern is along water but, that just isn't even right! No doubt many places will be similar. The water will be the worst part of this storm.

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Finished putting up insulators, ran the fourth/bottom strand of wire, made up some critter cages so I can move them into the big bldg, git the feed all stowed away, moved a dozen or so planters, washed out every bucket and filled with water for critters and flushing, cleaned out old chickery bldg, cleaned stuff off small trailer and stored in said bldg, got the pheasants in their safe cage.... Ended up with a blood blister.... It darn hurt!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Finished putting up insulators, ran the fourth/bottom strand of wire, made up some critter cages so I can move them into the big bldg, git the feed all stowed away, moved a dozen or so planters, washed out every bucket and filled with water for critters and flushing, cleaned out old chickery bldg, cleaned stuff off small trailer and stored in said bldg, got the pheasants in their safe cage.... Ended up with a blood blister.... It darn hurt!
Ready to pass put from exhaustion too I bet. Maybe you will sleep through any excitement.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
We flood like crazy! And the ground saturation plus whatever rain means tons of trees down everywhere.
Oh, do stay away from those trees, likely going to be mighty wet.

Will possibly get hit with the turn around rains a few days later :idunno
Looks that way, current expectation is she will hit TN and get :smacknorth going up the east side of KY, all of WV and the west side of VA. MAYBE we'll get some rain next week from the remnants since it looks like she'll be coming our way as she dies out :fl

Someone has to pay 100% markup to cover Mini's 50% off!

Latest posts