Coffee anyone ?

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeh @AmberLops , that is a ring-necked snake...they only get to 6-8" long when fully grown....they mainly eat bugs and worms.....I don't believe they are venomous and they are very docile....some have a yellow ring and others a red ring, but are of the same species.....the racer will put on a "show" but are not dangerous and mainly eat bugs, lizards, frogs....a gray rat snake however, will fight ya tooth and nail and will eat eggs, rodents, birds and rabbits....though they will shy away from the larger ones.....even as a hatchling, a copperhead, is colored and patterned as the adults are...the pattern on their back is known as an "hourglass" pattern....:)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I poured 1.1" out of the gauge yesterday evening....checked it this morning and had another 1.3" in it....water standing on sandy soil....guess it is saturated and supposedly much more on the way....we are under a flood watch til sometime saturday.....then temps rise and dewpoints drop some, but with the humidity increase the realfeel temps stay the same....tho, the winds are suppose to shift so the amount of rain will decrease....:)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do remember from days as a youth spent in TN, that the baby Copperheads have less venom than the mamas and papas, but it's potent even at birth/hatching.
What makes them more dangerous is that they haven't learned to use and control their delivery of venom....they will release more with every strike....whereas a mature one will control the amount released and if it isn't a food source, will "dry strike" most of the time as a defense and deterrant...allowing them time to get away....:)

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
What makes them more dangerous is that they haven't learned to use and control their delivery of venom....they will release more with every strike....whereas a mature one will control the amount released and if it isn't a food source, will "dry strike" most of the time as a defense and deterrant...allowing them time to get away....:)

We have these snakes in our area, although I have never seen one. But, I don't venture into the woods without boots and a stick except winter. All the farming in our area does help keep them somewhat secluded. But ever watchful.

Wonder, if I wear a sign "not food for you" they would leave me alone should we meet ? o_O

YES, those large rat snakes can be very aggressive if you mess with them. I've been able to "gently" coax them to put their head over a board or concrete to meet with the machete. :hide