Coffee anyone ?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the coffee! We had our 3 granddaughters for the weekend. We picked them up in Cisco Friday. Kept seeing lighted road signs of a wreck up ahead, ALL lanes closed on I-20. Normally by the time you get there the wreck is cleaned up and road is open. After the 4th sign and many miles, I told BJ to exit NOW. We wound our way over to Highway 80, with him griping all the way. We t down Hwy 80 through evening traffic, bumper to bumper, finally far enough to probably be clear of the wreck, took Spur 529 back to I-20. Wrong. Thing. To. Do.

We got close enough to see I-20, traffic at a dead stop as far as we could see in both directions, we were at a dead stop with traffic piling up behind us. BJ ran down the shoulder on the grass, that got us nowhere. Saw a car slip between 18wheelers, jump median and turn around. We cut between 18 wheelers too, jumped median, crossed road, jumped another median, got on that road and headed back to Hey 80. So did lots of other people. By that time, Hwy 80 was a zoo of crazed drivers. We finally got clear of traffic and made it to a small town 9 miles from home and wound through back roads to home. A 3 1/2 hour trip took 5 1/2 hours. With all our trying to miss traffic, we only drove 2 miles further than what it took to drive straight through on I-20 to Cisco. Go figure.

Found out that high winds blew down power lines, blocking both sides and feeder roads of I-20. The linemen didn’t get them put back up until Saturday morning! Whew! We would have been there all night!

Weekend went great, had a great time with girls. Met yesterday in Denton, up above Dallas. DD and DSIL went to Oklahoma to check it out, DD has been offered a job there. Hiring freeze for now, but they are very interested in her. We’ll see...... and no, we aren’t moving to Oklahoma! A position may come open next year in San Marcos, told her we’d move to San Marcos, that’s beautiful country. Eh, who knows?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the coffee! We had our 3 granddaughters for the weekend. We picked them up in Cisco Friday. Kept seeing lighted road signs of a wreck up ahead, ALL lanes closed on I-20. Normally by the time you get there the wreck is cleaned up and road is open. After the 4th sign and many miles, I told BJ to exit NOW. We wound our way over to Highway 80, with him griping all the way. We t down Hwy 80 through evening traffic, bumper to bumper, finally far enough to probably be clear of the wreck, took Spur 529 back to I-20. Wrong. Thing. To. Do.

We got close enough to see I-20, traffic at a dead stop as far as we could see in both directions, we were at a dead stop with traffic piling up behind us. BJ ran down the shoulder on the grass, that got us nowhere. Saw a car slip between 18wheelers, jump median and turn around. We cut between 18 wheelers too, jumped median, crossed road, jumped another median, got on that road and headed back to Hey 80. So did lots of other people. By that time, Hwy 80 was a zoo of crazed drivers. We finally got clear of traffic and made it to a small town 9 miles from home and wound through back roads to home. A 3 1/2 hour trip took 5 1/2 hours. With all our trying to miss traffic, we only drove 2 miles further than what it took to drive straight through on I-20 to Cisco. Go figure.

Found out that high winds blew down power lines, blocking both sides and feeder roads of I-20. The linemen didn’t get them put back up until Saturday morning! Whew! We would have been there all night!

Weekend went great, had a great time with girls. Met yesterday in Denton, up above Dallas. DD and DSIL went to Oklahoma to check it out, DD has been offered a job there. Hiring freeze for now, but they are very interested in her. We’ll see...... and no, we aren’t moving to Oklahoma! A position may come open next year in San Marcos, told her we’d move to San Marcos, that’s beautiful country. Eh, who knows?
What a story. :th

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is on

1611144056650.jpeg

Glad you had a nice visit @Baymule didn't you get the granddaughters a pony? Still have him? I love seeing kids enjoy horses.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Having my double espresso...thanks PA 🤪.

Today both kids will be here for dinner, I'm excited! It's usually impossible to sync everyone's schedule. Both boys are working weekends at the moment so I can probably lure them both over on the same day with a dinner invite.
Enchiladas and all the trimmings. :)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Trash box is full.... wondering... maybe we will just stuff as much as we can into the jeep... hope the smell doesn't linger since it is winter.
We have to separate out recyclables and compostables from the trash so no smell in the trash. We are supposed to put used paper towels and tissues! in the compost bin. Nasty mold grows in there so the only thing I put in there now is things like avocado seeds and bones .... after the chickens get done with them. Anything that will compost at home go into the compost bins in the yard and greasy paper towels go into the wood stove.

My DH is a tractor mechanic
I don't suppose he'd like a nice winter vacation in Alaska.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have to separate out recyclables and compostables from the trash so no smell in the trash. We are supposed to put used paper towels and tissues! in the compost bin. Nasty mold grows in there so the only thing I put in there now is things like avocado seeds and bones .... after the chickens get done with them. Anything that will compost at home go into the compost bins in the yard and greasy paper towels go into the wood stove.
Most recyclables have to be shipped to Washington state...no joke....

Metal, even with the shipping, makes a few cents a container, so that is encouraged... :lol:

We do try to be super careful about toxic stuff...batteries and oil... actually, I am not sure what they do with that stuff.... :idunno

But most everything is landfill...

Which is why they encourage scrounging....

However, "household" trash goes in a separate no scrounging zone...

Construction trash has its own spot....

There is a "put household scrounge worthy stuff here" spot.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bet you can find some pretty decent dimensional lumber for smaller projects in there!

Latest posts