Coffee anyone ?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@promiseacres You homeschool? Can you help me out? How do you fill the day with learning? Do you use any online resources?
My kids have been/are being all homeschooled.

You first need to see what the rules are in your state. The rules for homeschooling vary WILDLY from one state to the next.

I love homeschooling. Where kids have issues you just keep trying different approaches or repeating material until they get it. Where they excell you zoom ahead.

I homeschool for a bunch of reasons, one of them being that I do not agree with how they organize and teach some subjects. So... I organized and taught how I thought was best.

Start researching parenting, but don't read the popular fluff, find scientific papers on learning and read those. And no, I can't tell you where to go and what to read. I did all of that research a great many years back.

But it boiled down to be very careful as to word choices, how you complement, always be consistent, if you say no it must mean no and you must follow through.

And then all of the language learning stuff. Reading out loud, lots of rhyming, clapping syllables. And there was research at the time that said that starting out with ONLY capital letters helped to reduce dyslexia.

Also the various thoughts on the best ways to learn math are fascinating.

I would suggest you do a great deal of research first, and go from there. Decide what you agree with, and build a learning plan from there.

Also remember that each kid is different and might need a completely different learning approach.

How I taught when I was teaching 5 tiny kids is way different from how I teach now. I am now teaching 2, grade 8 and 10. I do have a 12th grader, but he finished all required classes except for history and English, so is doing very little school this semester... mostly working.

With tiny kids it is way more fun. I would start the day with chores, animal feeding and wood hauling. If that didn't make them tired enough they would have to run in the hallway, or do jumping jacks. Once tired we would sit and do school. About every 20 to 40 minutes another bunch of jumping jacks (tired kids learn better and are more obedient). Then it was "cooking class" while we all cooked together for lunch. Eat. After that super tiny would sleep and the non-sleepers would do messy stuff like science experiments or painting. Then outdoor walk with learning. Water cycle, botany, foraging, weather, whatever. Then indoor quiet resting while I read history or classic books out loud incorporating morals, good character, critical thinking, philosophy, geography, etc. Maybe an hour or 2 where they play with toys or read.. Then we cook together again, eat, then they clean the kitchen while I put my feet up watching them, keeping them on task.

I think electronics with little kids is a rabbit hole of doom.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think electronics with little kids is a rabbit hole of doom.
I agree. You see one year olds glued to a cell phone these days!!!! "Oh, but it is educational stuff!" Um, yeah, right.

Parents want a little "quiet time"? give the kids a computer of whatever nature and let them veg. Yeah, no good.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree. You see one year olds glued to a cell phone these days!!!! "Oh, but it is educational stuff!" Um, yeah, right.

Parents want a little "quiet time"? give the kids a computer of whatever nature and let them veg. Yeah, no good.
Agreed.

When I needed quiet the kids had to do laps around the house while I had my feet up in the livingroom.

So they were outside, I was inside.

Rules were that they had to stay together, and they had to be fast so I knew they were safe (so they were never out of sight for long, livingroom windows could see about half the lap).

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What colors are you painting the rooms?

I love color, but I know this is supposed to be a rental or sold or some such.... so will you just stick with dover white?
Light pale gray. Got 5 gallon bucket of Behr interior with primer, expensive. But it should last through me and at least the first renter, LOL Ceilings and trim white.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sunshine and coffee!! Great start to a promising day! Little cool at mid 60s inside but long sleeves and socks handle that....first jump out of a warm bed is awakening! ;). It's 44 out and going to 80, they say. I like that.

Stayed home to "farm" yesterday. The new rake works BUT my compact tractor doesn't lift it enough for good empty. So, now I have to get more hook up brackets welded on it! Bummer...but it's a fact. Every adjustment has been made. :(. Weekend project.

Plus started miking one of my goats. Thought she was drying off but, after removing her doeling, found she wasn't weaned! Soooo, full udder. There's some screaming going on from that kid! 😁 I'm loving the fresh milk. Have 2 more does who will probably be same. At least the young ones look great and have helped me out to keep milk flowing.

Today it's a work day. Gotta get moving. Y'all have a great day!:frow:thumbsup

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can I ask an embarrassing question?

What do you do when you want a little parent “alone time”? :hide
Little ones take an enormous amount of time, not the newborns so much but when they get mobile. Sometimes you just want to get some rest from all that. and do anything quiet and NOT baby ;)

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Little ones take an enormous amount of time, not the newborns so much but when they get mobile. Sometimes you just want to get some rest from all that. and do anything quiet and NOT baby ;)
Hmmm makes sense. Sacrifice “special” time for sleep time. :gig