Coffee anyone ?

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Difficult sheep day yesterday. Ewe delivered a lamb then prolapsed rectum and intestines and died. An old ewe. Lamb very frail but took bottle then also died. As I was walking out the door to do lord only knows, another ewe drops a lamb and immediately hates it (first time mom). No amount of coaxing convinced her to accept it so in it comes. It spent the night alternately baaing and thumping around the horse bunk/lamb guest room like Herman Munster. Acts like it’s a month old and not newborn. So long Sleep…o_O

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Awful losing a ewe and lamb. Been there, done that. Probably delayed birth due to prolapse caused problems for lamb. At least the other ewe left you with a healthy lamb. Is it a ewe or ram? Hope you can save it. Crazy how these ewes will decide they hate their lambs. Post partum depression?

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
From time to time I have to decide what to do with my old lady ewes. Either take them to the sale barn for pet food or keep them, hope they stop heat cycling (it’s happened) and let them retire and pass. I had four that had missed two consecutive heats but all four wound up pregnant, the trollops. I think the remaining three will be ok but I’m watching them like a hawk. Boy, got an anatomy lesson though. 🤢

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Difficult sheep day yesterday. Ewe delivered a lamb then prolapsed rectum and intestines and died. An old ewe. Lamb very frail but took bottle then also died. As I was walking out the door to do lord only knows, another ewe drops a lamb and immediately hates it (first time mom). No amount of coaxing convinced her to accept it so in it comes. It spent the night alternately baaing and thumping around the horse bunk/lamb guest room like Herman Munster. Acts like it’s a month old and not newborn. So long Sleep…o_O
Oh man what a day. So sorry. Better days ahead - and eventually a good night's sleep.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
From time to time I have to decide what to do with my old lady ewes. Either take them to the sale barn for pet food or keep them, hope they stop heat cycling (it’s happened) and let them retire and pass. I had four that had missed two consecutive heats but all four wound up pregnant, the trollops. I think the remaining three will be ok but I’m watching them like a hawk. Boy, got an anatomy lesson though. 🤢
:hugs

Latest posts