Does anyone know...can you feed a baby raw cow's milk???

tororider

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am not the one shipping, and that is what I meant when I said that they are testing the milk, with every pickup.

Farmer Kitty, where abouts in WI are you? I used to live there and still get back a couple times a year to see numerous family I still have there.

chicken_boy_Kurt

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So I might have missed it but:

Why can't you feed an infant raw milk? Is it because their immune system isn't strong enough yet? Or is it another reason?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
chicken_boy_Kurt said:

Why can't you feed an infant raw milk? Is it because their immune system isn't strong enough yet? Or is it another reason?
It's because of their immune system not being fully established yet.

chicken_boy_Kurt

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
chicken_boy_Kurt said:

It's because of their immune system not being fully established yet.
Yeah that's what I thought, thanks.

steerrider

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Arctichicken said:
I was wondering if a baby can be fed raw cow's milk instead of that processed powder like formula? Does anyone know. I'm assuming that's what they did in the old days if a woman couldn't nurse...kinda makes sense to me.

What do you think???? Would love to hear from anyone about this!

:hu
The globules in cows milk are larger and harder to digest then the globules in goats milk.
Did you know all humans intestines shut down to cows milk by the age of 2? but we can still digest most of the nutriance in goats milk.

cows milk is ok.. and better than store bought formula, but is not ideal for a human or animal baby due to the large globules. ( sorry for the poor spelling)
Non pasturized milk is better and easier digested then pasturized as well.
The reason for pasturization was TB whitch is not that common in the US anymore..

J

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
I recall my momma ( of 6) telling me my older sister wasn't breastfeeding right as an infant so she made homemade formula with homepasturized milk, watered down with Karo syrup in it. This would have been in the 40s and there were accepted recipes for homemade formula in those days. I think a big reason for pasturization at that time was to break down the proteins to make them more digestible -- although I may be wrong on that.
I know my city pediatrician was shocked when I told him my 5 kids ( young teens/preteens at the time) were getting raw milk, until I told him how well she was healthtested ( being a 4H show cow). Then he was OK with it.
My personal opinion: CLEAN raw milk is awesome stuff and definitely better for you than pasteurized. But there are dirty farms out there and that is commercial farming these days. Not every farm is like Farmer Kitty's -- where I am sure she is riding herd on cleanliness during milking!
My mother taught me to be fanatical about milk cleanliness. I have been on commercial farms where it is an afterthought -- I'm ashamed to say it :(
So.. keep your milking cow and equipment clean to be healthy:)

j.luetkemeyer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I would like to add a few comments regarding milk. These comments are my opinions based off of several years of research. Raw milk can be very healthy. It is never recommended to feed a child 1 year or younger milk other than mother's milk.

Pasteurization destroys the enzymes found in milk that help break down the casein protein into a form digestible by humans. Most humans can digest cow's milk just fine if it is in raw form. There are a few important things to remember. The only way to get healthy milk is to feed a cow a normal healthy diet. This excludes grain. Cows and other ruminant's digestive systems are designed to break down the sugars found in grasses and herbaceous plants and convert them to protein. They are not able to digest grain. You can google raw milk and get the specifics. Another goods site to check out is Weston A Price foundation's site. There is some good research info on there.

I am new to cows; however, I have spent a lot of time researching and have started to develop pastures that will provide the right forages for my cows. Rye and wheat grass are the best. A little alfalfa and clover are good as well. There are several herbs that you can plant including mugwort. I am still researching the varieties of herbs to plant as well as trees that have good fodder as well. The pods from honey locust trees are good. The leaves from several trees including white oak and ginkgo biloba. I will add updates as I find more information to share. As far as grass goes you can check out sucraseed's high sugar grass. I have researched it and have decided to replace what I have know with this mixture and add wheat as well.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:welcome

j.luetkemeyer said:
The only way to get healthy milk is to feed a cow a normal healthy diet. This excludes grain. Cows and other ruminant's digestive systems are designed to break down the sugars found in grasses and herbaceous plants and convert them to protein. They are not able to digest grain.
Millions of cows do just fine on grain, mine included. I have very healthy cows and our vet visits are mostly limited to herd health (preganancy checks, calfhood vac for bangs, etc.) I have been told by our vets that they hate emergency calls from us due to the fact that it's something major. If cattle can't digest grain, I have a SIL and her husband that should have dead cattle as they raise corn fed cattle.

This thread is about feeding babies raw milk, if you would like to open a new thread discussing the topic of feeding cattle feel free to do so. But, let's let this one get back to topic.

j.luetkemeyer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I apologize for putting that comment on this thread. I thought it was relavent because if you are going to feed your baby cow's milk you would want it to contain the right enzymes, minerals, fat soluable vitamins, etc. Quick clarification regarding grain. I wasn't saying grain would kill the cow. I'm saying their stomaches are not designed to digest grains. By feeding the cow grains you are definitely going to have milk lacking some of the things I mentioned above of which are highly important for human digestibility. There are many things our stomaches are not designed to eat; however, many people continue to eat those foods. This can cause a lack of nutrients when you think you are getting them, and also cause your body to have allergic reactions to the food. I could go on and on; however, I realize this thread is not to discuss nutrition.