Feeding a dairy goat

DustyBoot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'll make sure we get all that figured out in the near future, well before she's supposed to be due. Since she's not supposed to be due for at least a couple more months, I'm hoping we can get some weight on her, deal with any deficiencies, and reduce her risk at least somewhat.

Goatgurl, I'll look into the feed! I got what I'm currently feeding her at TSC since I didn't want to change things suddenly, but I've been meaning to get to our feed store and see what they have. I am a little tempted to keep a doeling if she has one, if for no other reason than that it'd be hard to get her bred to a LaMancha buck again. We do intend to keep any promising doelings from our other does this year since we're in the process of growing our herd, so we'll see. Fortunately I don't have to decide now. :)

DustyBoot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The localish livestock vet would charge $28 for a fecal, which isn't awful, but wouldn't take long to add up. On a whim I called up the more local small animal vet where I get heartworm meds for our LGDs and they run goat fecals for $10-15. It's a rural area so I imagine they do get the occasional small livestock. Probably not enough that I'd call them for something complicated, but it seems like running a fecal ought to be pretty straightforward.

Long-term, I'd like to get my own microscope and equipment and learn to do it myself, but good to have an affordable and convenient option in the meantime.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The localish livestock vet would charge $28 for a fecal, which isn't awful, but wouldn't take long to add up. On a whim I called up the more local small animal vet where I get heartworm meds for our LGDs and they run goat fecals for $10-15. It's a rural area so I imagine they do get the occasional small livestock. Probably not enough that I'd call them for something complicated, but it seems like running a fecal ought to be pretty straightforward.

Long-term, I'd like to get my own microscope and equipment and learn to do it myself, but good to have an affordable and convenient option in the meantime.
The difference could be the type fecal run.
Straight fecal doesn't give you much info- straight fecal is the kind you use for dogs/cats... it just shows whether or not there are parasites.
For goats/sheep you want the McMasters method with EPG (Eggs Per Gram) counts. Anything other than that is just saying yes or no... no idea of load level.

DustyBoot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hmm... I'll clarify before I take anything in, then. I will say that every time I've checked with the livestock vet for a price on anything it's been pretty high. I'm sure it's fair; they have to eat too. But the costs just aren't justifiable for me for anything I can learn to do myself or find a workaround for.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you have a scope get the Mc Masters slides - I recommend the hit. Had mine for years LOVE it! We keep our FAMACHA card in with the kit.

(get the green slide not opaque) here is a link to the kit
http://www.vetslides.com/product-page/paracount-epg-fecal-analysis-kit-greengrid-slides

a0e1ee_0299f272a871431dbc12a3683af993e9.jpg

DustyBoot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't have a scope yet, but we homeschool the kids so it's a matter of when we buy one, not if. Given that we now have a use for it, I'm thinking sooner rather than later. The kit looks perfect! Is there a particular flotation solution you recommend?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, I also have a tutorial.
You will need a scope that has a mechanical stage. You can get a good scope for around $125 (monocular)

I had to break the articles up because it only allows so many pics- the solution mix is given
Basic info
- https://www.backyardherds.com/resources/understanding-famacha-fecal-analysis.56/
Part 1- https://www.backyardherds.com/resources/the-mcmasters-method-fecal-analysis.55/
Part 2-https://www.backyardherds.com/resources/mcmasters-method-fecal-analysis-part2.57/

DustyBoot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was looking at this one, which was recommended on one of the sites where I read a how-to: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BEK1WZW/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3E36IHU2IJZPR&colid=31BJYB3TQ56XB&psc=0 But I'm not opposed to spending a little more if there's a better one out there. Want it to be useful for this and for science labs through high school, so although we don't need the top of the line I also don't want to cheap out.

Picture at the bottom of the first article -- I actually just saw something like that in Dottie's poop this morning and was going to do some research to see if I could figure out what it was. Guess I'd better get moving on a fecal. :eek: