Feeding a dairy goat

DustyBoot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
For the price difference, I can get the other one if it's going to work better. I'm going to do some quick research on what we'll need to get through high school science... oldest is in 4th grade so I haven't thought that far ahead yet!

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You can send in a fecal to http://www.midamericaagresearch.net/instructions.php

Who do you use to home school your children? My 5 are all home schooled, through K12. My oldest is in 8th grade. K12 sent a microscope last year for her. It's a basic microscope with no light. I do plan on buying a better microscope.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The slides are thick and some scopes don't have range to support it, also some scopes mechanical stage is very limited.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score

DustyBoot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Good to know about the slides and mechanical stage. Browsing school-quality microscopes and wondering now if this one might do the trick: https://microscopecentral.com/colle...monocular-compound-microscope-with-3d-stage-1 It's more expensive, but again, I'd rather buy one microscope that will work for everything than go cheap now and have to buy a second one later. It lists the dimensions of the stage, but I don't see anything about the thickness of the slides it will accommodate. Possibly I could call the company and ask.

I may try the mail-in fecal unless I end up ordering my own setup in the next day or two!

Regarding homeschooling, I've cobbled together a patchwork of what works best for the kids, me, and our lifestyle. Christian Light Education, REAL Science Odyssey, some Well-Trained Mind material, some Miquon, Five in a Row... not to mention some plain old DIY and a lot of reading. We're a little eclectic, but it works for us.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It has a big crystal that reflects natural light.
20180111_101403.jpg

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
It has a big crystal that reflects natural light. View attachment 42186

This really isn't a quality instrument. May be fine for young ones but not for any advanced science classes.

Good to know about the slides and mechanical stage. Browsing school-quality microscopes and wondering now if this one might do the trick: https://microscopecentral.com/colle...monocular-compound-microscope-with-3d-stage-1 It's more expensive, but again, I'd rather buy one microscope that will work for everything than go cheap now and have to buy a second one later. It lists the dimensions of the stage, but I don't see anything about the thickness of the slides it will accommodate. Possibly I could call the company and ask.

I may try the mail-in fecal unless I end up ordering my own setup in the next day or two!

Regarding homeschooling, I've cobbled together a patchwork of what works best for the kids, me, and our lifestyle. Christian Light Education, REAL Science Odyssey, some Well-Trained Mind material, some Miquon, Five in a Row... not to mention some plain old DIY and a lot of reading. We're a little eclectic, but it works for us.
This looks great!

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It really is not a quality microscope. It has helped us learn how to do fecals. I also send out fecals. I do plan on purchasing a quality microscope.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Since you're planning on using it for home schooling and science, perhaps a little more for a binocular scope with computer hook up capabilities so you can hook it to a lap top and display what you're trying to show the kids. Easier for all to see exactly what you're trying to show them and then they can look and you'll be able to see what they're looking at. Just a thought. I'm not home schooling but it's what I've been looking to purchase as my eyes aren't as good as they once were. This is the model I've pretty much settled on as best price with best function: http://www.microscopenet.com/omax-4...microscope-with-mechanical-stage-p-11079.html