Final Necropsy Results on Fourth Dead Kid In. Nope. Nope. Nope :(

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with Pearce and OFA. You may be making your guy feel better but the way corid works is by suppressing thiamine. Cocci need it to survive, but so does your goat. Corid is already very ineffective but by giving the b complex would make it useless. I understand you are using what you have but I would see if your vet has any Dimethox or order it online and get 2-day shipping.

Sounds like you are doing a good job with him though!

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I think by giving B complex while giving corrid, you are essentially nullifying the corrid
I believe corrid works by denying coccidia thiamine
At least that is my understanding

Correct :)

Corrid mimics thiamine which cocci need. It is effective enough that the body thinks it is thiamine too and stops producing it, which ends up starving the cocci to death. The issue is that the body needs thiamine too but some can handle it better than others. If thiamine levels are too low, that is when we see polio and give the B to treat. Giving B to prevent it though defeats the Corrid and the cocci are being kept alive.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hope he improves. Corid really is not effective as a treatment once cocci have taken hold and the high dosage of it that it takes to try to treat put you on alert for issues with thiamine. Can you place an online order or grab a few tablets from a vet? It might be worth having on hand anyway and Jeffers will ship it asap. I wish I was near you because I would give you a packet.

I'll be able to get it later this week when I get paid. I used up all my money on the other treatments, so I'm keeping him going okay for now.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Correct :)

Corrid mimics thiamine which cocci need. It is effective enough that the body thinks it is thiamine too and stops producing it, which ends up starving the cocci to death. The issue is that the body needs thiamine too but some can handle it better than others. If thiamine levels are too low, that is when we see polio and give the B to treat. Giving B to prevent it though defeats the Corrid and the cocci are being kept alive.

Yep, I'm giving him B vitamin shots every day now. My understanding was giving Corid starves the cocci in the stomach from B. I don't think the B injections will nullify it.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad he is doing better.

Now here is my humble opinion.

I too have heard that the thiamine will make the Corid ineffective but I have a lot of friends that use Corid as a prevention and treatment for cocci and I used to. My vet (who is goatie vet) told me to use it the first year I had cocci in my herd. I believe the treatment was 1cc for 4 lbs for 5 days, straight out of the bottle, not diluted. She personally thinks that the thiamine issue is a non issue. Corid is not a thiamine inhibitor, it is a thiamine imitator. In goats thiamine is produced by the bacteria and protozoa of the rumen so short term use of the correct dose of Corid doesn't stop the production of it, it just mimics thiamine and the cocci ingests it and dies because they too need thiamine to live. I am sure the cocci get some real thiamine from the goat too so they don't all die at once. Giving the Vit. B injection should not make Corid ineffective, but it may slow the cocci die off. And to make it even more complicated my vet said that there isn't enough thiamine in the B complex to help at all, you need straight Vit. B1 to get enough thiamine or at least Fortified B vitamins.

One more thing, if the goat isn't eating because of the cocci then there is a better chance that the thiamine is not being produced in the rumen in the first place, with or without the Corid.

I now use Baycox. Second choice is Sulfadimethoxine Injectable 40% give orally @ 1 cc /5 lbs. first day 1 cc /10 lbs. next 5 days

The bottom line, if Corid is your only choice then follow the dosing directions and go for it. You are okay.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad he is doing better.

Now here is my humble opinion.

I too have heard that the thiamine will make the Corid ineffective but I have a lot of friends that use Corid as a prevention and treatment for cocci and I used to. My vet (who is goatie vet) told me to use it the first year I had cocci in my herd. I believe the treatment was 1cc for 4 lbs for 5 days, straight out of the bottle, not diluted. She personally thinks that the thiamine issue is a non issue. Corid is not a thiamine inhibitor, it is a thiamine imitator. In goats thiamine is produced by the bacteria and protozoa of the rumen so short term use of the correct dose of Corid doesn't stop the production of it, it just mimics thiamine and the cocci ingests it and dies because they too need thiamine to live. I am sure the cocci get some real thiamine from the goat too so they don't all die at once. Giving the Vit. B injection should not make Corid ineffective, but it may slow the cocci die off. And to make it even more complicated my vet said that there isn't enough thiamine in the B complex to help at all, you need straight Vit. B1 to get enough thiamine or at least Fortified B vitamins.

One more thing, if the goat isn't eating because of the cocci then there is a better chance that the thiamine is not being produced in the rumen in the first place, with or without the Corid.

I now use Baycox. Second choice is Sulfadimethoxine Injectable 40% give orally @ 1 cc /5 lbs. first day 1 cc /10 lbs. next 5 days

The bottom line, if Corid is your only choice then follow the dosing directions and go for it. You are okay.
Good information
X2 on the Baycox that's what we use now

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Amprolium

"The drug is a thiamine analogue and blocks the thiamine transporter of Eimeria species. By blocking thiamine uptake it prevents carbohydrate synthesis."

Don't know why you'd give the B vitamins but more than likely the small amount would be insignificant.

I don't blame you one bit for throwing everything at him... you lost the other two so fast. Normally I know you wouldn't but this has been pretty awful what you've gone through.:hugs

Keeping fingers crossed! :fl

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
So does it stop carbohydrate synthesis in the goat too or just in the cocci? Everything I have been taught says that the goat is not at risk with short term usage. I suspect that the Vit B is to replenish the thiamine, but goats produce thiamine if they have a functioning rumen...These animals are sure confusing. :)

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Amprolium

"The drug is a thiamine analogue and blocks the thiamine transporter of Eimeria species. By blocking thiamine uptake it prevents carbohydrate synthesis."

Don't know why you'd give the B vitamins but more than likely the small amount would be insignificant.

I don't blame you one bit for throwing everything at him... you lost the other two so fast. Normally I know you wouldn't but this has been pretty awful what you've gone through.:hugs

Keeping fingers crossed! :fl
More good information
We've used it with no ill effect on the animals
But we have found that the toltrazuril compound I,e, Baycox is by far the most effective