Final Necropsy Results on Fourth Dead Kid In. Nope. Nope. Nope :(

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Because you have used both, what do think about Corid VS di-methox?
I don't really know
We cruised along for 3 years giving dimethox as a preventative with no problems
Year 4 we lost a 5 week old kid with no symptoms
Healthy that morning and dead that afternoon and I mean fast
Her necropsy said she had formed berries in her rectum no diarrhea
We gave corrid next year and lost another the same way
This time we had other sick one And did fecals and had an issue
That's when we got the Baycox
One dose and they had none
We talked to a number of people who don't give anything who said that after 4 or 5 years you will hit a point and have a problem but after a couple of years you don't have a problem
But they also said they had years they lost every kid
No doubt that management was part of our problem
We got lazy

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't really know
We cruised along for 3 years giving dimethox as a preventative with no problems
Year 4 we lost a 5 week old kid with no symptoms
Healthy that morning and dead that afternoon and I mean fast
Her necropsy said she had formed berries in her rectum no diarrhea
We gave corrid next year and lost another the same way
This time we had other sick one And did fecals and had an issue
That's when we got the Baycox
One dose and they had none
We talked to a number of people who don't give anything who said that after 4 or 5 years you will hit a point and have a problem but after a couple of years you don't have a problem
But they also said they had years they lost every kid
No doubt that management was part of our problem
We got lazy

I agree, it seems after so many years it does show up. Makes sense. Adult goats still have some oocysts in their system and will shed it but causes no issues (usually-unless it is just severe for some reason) those do get passed onto the pasture even dry lots.
We use the Toltrazuril (Baycox) also and stared the same year you lost your kid. I had never seen any of our goats with anything on the slide (kids) suddenly 6 oocysts. I probably jumped to overkill mode but now we do a preventative too.

What is odd is the kids left on mom still never have anything yet the kids we pulled that are dry lotted, given their own dam's milk do show cocci on the slide. Cannot figure that one out.
Every goat we have acquired over the past few years have all come in on medicated feed... we take them off because we cannot risk the medicated feed here... between dogs and chickens too risky. I guess I can see why so many use the medicated feed though.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
So does it stop carbohydrate synthesis in the goat too or just in the cocci? Everything I have been taught says that the goat is not at risk with short term usage. I suspect that the Vit B is to replenish the thiamine, but goats produce thiamine if they have a functioning rumen...These animals are sure confusing. :)

Correct dosing and short term use should be fine. Some critters are more sensitive so that is why some say to keep Vit B Complex on hand if you can't get straight thiamine, or just use a med that is more effective without the complication.

While treating with Corid, using B complex will make it less effective, but probably won't completely nullify it.

Speaking of Baycox, I am ordering this in the fall when I do my yearly animal order....http://horseprerace.com/toltrazuril...edient-of-Baycox®)/toltrazuril-for-epm-200ml/

Lots have told me how well it works, one dose and done, no nasty taste, and the price is coming down from where it was a few years ago. DiMethox powder is about $12 and liquid is around $40 so I am giving it a try.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Correct dosing and short term use should be fine. Some critters are more sensitive so that is why some say to keep Vit B Complex on hand if you can't get straight thiamine, or just use a med that is more effective without the complication.

While treating with Corid, using B complex will make it less effective, but probably won't completely nullify it.

Speaking of Baycox, I am ordering this in the fall when I do my yearly animal order....http://horseprerace.com/toltrazuril(Compare-the-active-ingredient-of-Baycox®)/toltrazuril-for-epm-200ml/

Lots have told me how well it works, one dose and done, no nasty taste, and the price is coming down from where it was a few years ago. DiMethox powder is about $12 and liquid is around $40 so I am giving it a try.

That's where we have ordered ours from too.
We've had no issues receiving our orders. :thumbsup

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like is it's shelf life. If you have a small herd and only a few kids per year it isn't worth it. 1 year shelf life. 200mls

We have enough to utilize a bottle but many people only have 3-6 kids a year and that is pricey.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My kid with scours that was responding to NOTHING has berries this morning after 4 days on Safeguard. :weee No I did not do a fecal, no microscope and the friend that does them for me was busy with the fair. I was not spending 40.00 on a 50.00 wether so just did the usual which didn't work. We had a puppy diagnosed with Giardia so I figured what the heck, let's treat for that. It seems to have worked, but then again, he could have had tapeworm. :idunno

Hope that @SkyWarrior is having good look with her kid too.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@babsbag glad the fenben worked! :woot

I know, thinking about @SkyWarrior too.

Okay, that's the one thing I haven't tried yet.

I have that. I sort of felt like, geez this is overkill when I just gave him Ivomectin on day 1. :idunno

Sort of guarded good news. He's griping about all the stuff I'm shoving down his gullet. Still watery poo, but it's far less than before. He's been chasing mom around for milk and has been eating hay. The electrolyte and scour-chek seems to perk him up. I increased the dosage of Corid because I ran into a paper by two different university vets and the amounts were much higher than those listed in other places. Perhaps Corid is ineffective because people are underdosing? :hu I don't know.

I'll be hitting him up with more electrolytes and probios later today. This time I'll bring a towel so I don't get some poo on me. I will add fenben. :thumbsup

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear he is protesting a bit! Still keeping my hopes up for you.:fl
BTW- I have missed you Sky!:hugs

Giardia will cause water like diarrhea, tapes usually cause logs and then can turn to mushy like diarrhea but have never seen tapes cause liquid diarrhea.

Remember use the fenben 3-5 days straight.
Also even though the fenben says for goats the actual dosage formulation on the back was not based on goats. :rolleyes: It was based on cattle. :\
Every goat vet I work with says either 9cc or 10cc per 100 lbs.
I use to use the formulation on the back and never had a problem but we also never had worm issues but tapes seem to pop up here and there as well as almost every new goat we have come in is loaded with tape. :hu When having a hard time dealing with the tape is when I found out about the dosage etc. a few years ago.

They really do not study goats at all. :\ No $ in it.

Of course you should do what your vet recommends.

Last edited: