First freshener with triplets, how do I know if she has enough milk?

Crosec7

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
There are right around 60 Thoroughbreds at the sanctuary that are my responsibility. There are over 400 animals total. Horses, donkeys, goats, sheep, llamas and alpacas. It's a huge operation, but it's run by good people and has pretty good funding. They take really good care of the animals.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Crosec7 Welcome to BYH. You are "right up the road" from me...I live near Redding.

The kids are adorable and like @Goat Whisperer said, if they aren't crying they are most likely fine, kids tend to nurse for a few seconds and run off to play. As they get bigger they will nurse longer. You will see their little tails wagging in ecstasy while they are nursing and happy.

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
400 animals!! Bless y'all for taking care of all those precious animals.

Crosec7

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Crosec7 Welcome to BYH. You are "right up the road" from me...I live near Redding.

The kids are adorable and like @Goat Whisperer said, if they aren't crying they are most likely fine, kids tend to nurse for a few seconds and run off to play. As they get bigger they will nurse longer. You will see their little tails wagging in ecstasy while they are nursing and happy.

Oh yes, you are close by. Thanks for the advice. It's nerve wracking being a first timer.

And by the way, for all of you experienced goat breeders...I know they say you can expect some bloody discharge for up to a week or two after kidding. Our doe had absolutely no discharge until this evening when there was some dried blood/mucus on her vulva and tail. I'm assuming this is normal, just wanted to make sure. Also, she's acting interested in our buck already, how soon do does come back into heat?? I'm not putting them in together, don't worry. Just thought it was a little soon for her to be interested in him! He, on the other hand, thought it was perfect timing.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The blood part it normal, sometimes up to three weeks I will see it off and on. Can't help with the buck part as I have Alpines and they are seasonal breeders so they are never in heat after kidding.

Enjoy those babies, they are addicting. Not sure how you can sell those cute little girls.

Crosec7

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I know! I'm already having trouble with the idea of selling them. But I'm telling myself if I sell them I can breed more next year. Our barn isn't big enough for lots of goats, and where we are we need to lock them in at night, too many predators. At least they will most likely go to my father in law, so we can continue to see them as they grow up! I think if we decide to expand our herd we should buy instead of retain doelings, as we only have the one buck right now. At least we know this cross creates lots of color!

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I had to sell my buck, because I wanted to retain my doelings, and I can say it was one of the hardest sells I have ever made, but it got better after the babies came. If you are wanting to keep his babies, you might want to look into selling him. I have always said if I kept doelings off my buck I would just get him Neutered, because he is kind natured, and would make a great pet for any future bucks I get.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh yes, you are close by. Thanks for the advice. It's nerve wracking being a first timer.

And by the way, for all of you experienced goat breeders...I know they say you can expect some bloody discharge for up to a week or two after kidding. Our doe had absolutely no discharge until this evening when there was some dried blood/mucus on her vulva and tail. I'm assuming this is normal, just wanted to make sure. Also, she's acting interested in our buck already, how soon do does come back into heat?? I'm not putting them in together, don't worry. Just thought it was a little soon for her to be interested in him! He, on the other hand, thought it was perfect timing.
Like Babs said, the discharge is normal :)

The does can start to cycle again within a few weeks. Right now its most likely the hormones from kidding but still keep them separated! We have had does flirt with the bucks a few hours before kidding, again its just the hormones.

I had to sell my buck, because I wanted to retain my doelings, and I can say it was one of the hardest sells I have ever made, but it got better after the babies came. If you are wanting to keep his babies, you might want to look into selling him. I have always said if I kept doelings off my buck I would just get him Neutered, because he is kind natured, and would make a great pet for any future bucks I get.
Does your buck have a companion? Most say to get a wether but I always tell folks to look at getting another breeding buck. That way you have another buck you can use on the daughters.

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes my buck has friends. I have 8 goats, and herd still growing, I am going to be hunting for another breeding buck next year. I put my buckling with my new breeding buck, so he has a friend.

Crosec7

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Another question for you experienced breeders. We want to disbud our kids. However, our buck is polled, so I want to be absolutely sure the kids have buds before we do it. I have a friend who is experienced with full sized goats who will do it for us, but I'm nervous that the kids are so tiny. The two in my profile pic are just over 2.5 lbs now. The big one is over 5 lbs! I can't feel buds on anyone yet, but I'm expecting to soon if they aren't polled. How small can the kids be and have it be safe? The iron she uses is 1/2 inch, and that seems like it will be awfully big on their tiny heads. Is it ok to wait another week? They're 1 week old now. Thanks!