First freshener with triplets, how do I know if she has enough milk?

Georgia Girl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
To those of you that use your milk for human consumption, do any of you test the milk before using and if so what do you test for and what lab do you use? thanks ...I am a first timer and want to make sure milk is safe, my does have been tested and are negative , but I think milk needs testing.

Kathy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
kind of the same question...my Kiko had triplets last Saturday and the third is definitely the runt. It seems like she doesn't want to nurse him. When he tries to latch on she just kicks/pushes him away. He very skinny so I pulled him today and am trying to bottle feed but I really have to make it happen otherwise he won't latch on. I know she bonded with him because she goes crazy when I take him out. Can they make enough milk for all three?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
To those of you that use your milk for human consumption, do any of you test the milk before using and if so what do you test for and what lab do you use? thanks ...I am a first timer and want to make sure milk is safe, my does have been tested and are negative , but I think milk needs testing.

Our animals are tested and we pasteurize the milk
I'm pretty sure dairy's just test for antibiotics.
@babsbag has a dairy, she would know.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of my does had trips last year & would only nurse the first two. The 3rd was born just after the first two had been partially clean and had already nursed. She took care of #3 in every way except letting her nurse & so I bottled her...with the does milk, hoping she would let her nurse and I tried but couldn't be there all day to hold her. So, we co-parented Peanut. :D

As to testing milk. I do drink and use my goat milk, raw. I check it for mastitis but, only by the swatches you buy. In 7 years I have never had an issue. However, I do take all precautions of washing udders, squirting first milk out of teats, wiping again, then milking by hand device...so all goes directly into a jar. Also take fast action to cool quickly....ice baths while milking others, freezer for 45 min, then frig. You can pasteurize, of course. My does are tested, in general (CAE, etc) but not the milk specifically. You can test for counts like a dairy. Those who do can give details.

Daisy Mae

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello
I found your post because I was doing a search on lupine. We are in Ca too and have some lupine on our property. I’ve read that they are poisonous to goats. We are getting 2 goats soon. Should I be worried? Thank you!

Latest posts