First time Momma

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Anyone or thing can catch staph. It depends on how strong our immune systems are. But I believe it is on our skin and most every surface at all times, a scratch or upset can trigger it, most times it wont. We treated our dog for Staph infection where she had small bug bite like bumps on her belly and itched outrageously.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
These are on the poor girls bum! Can't catch a break! :barnie

I've done some reading up on it and a couple sites :caf say to clean it with 7% iodine to help dry the blisters up. And also, someone on here recommended an antimicrobial soap that I'll get. The blisters are not popped, and I'm planning on leaving them that way. no reason to release infection when it's nicely contained in the tiny bumps. They are about the size of a large ant bit. I looked this morning at them, and they actually seemed less red/angry than they did last night. I'll wash her bum tonight in the iodine. I don't think it's at the point of needing antibiotics.

I'll wear gloves while cleaning the area and wash hands after. I'm not gloving up to feed her though. Wonder if I should? :hu

Mom has 2 more doses of the fever reducer and tomorrow is the last dose of antibiotics. Her fever was down to 104 last night. Better than 106...but still not perfect. She's eating the Purina Goat food like it's going out of style. :) She's eating hay and drinking water. Also munching her mineral block, which thankfully the kids want nothing to do with.

I'm attempting to get the kids to take 4oz of whole cow milk twice a day. This morning was less than successful in this. Last night though, they ate like little piggies. Mom is producing a LITTLE amount of milk, so they must be getting SOMETHING during the day/night...just not quite enough. o_O Though clearly when they want it, they will gobble it on down. Their bellies are not sunken in at all. I make sure to feel them both morning and night. They are playful as all get out. Even attempting to much on hay like mom :lol: Every day I go out there to find the boy in the igloo with a piece of hay sticking out of his mouth like an old farmer :lol:

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 92

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry you're going through this @nstone630... I truly hope they get better and remain healthy!
I sympathize with how you were feeling; having gone through a goat crisis, I sympathize with that stressful feeling. :hugs:hugs Will be praying for ya.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking staph too. I've never see that before though :eek:
Poor girl!

It wouldn't be a bad idea to wear gloves while bottle feeding if you are in contact with the skin/kind of the goat.
Definitely watch her brother for it too.

Did you send the pic to your vet?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
If they are used to the bottle now, and know it means food, I wouldn't push it. Sounds like you have a good handle on this and I'm hoping it was just a "small bump in the road" :thumbsup

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks @Goat Whisperer for all the advice. I'm unsure how to send a picture to the vet, I'll have to call them.

I'll check the boy tonight...haven't noticed anything on mom. Wonder if that could be part of the infection she is having? Hm...:hu

I'm hoping in a week or so I will have happy healthy goats. I'm getting more gloves today. Better to be safe than sorry. Lord knows I don't need staph :barnie

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok. Kids are good. Mom is no longer producing milk. So looks like we will be busy bottle feeding.

Mom still has a 104 fever. Last dose of antibiotics today. She started today with some strangel discharge. It's not bright red. It's more of a milky pink. Hard to explain. Any ideas? :hu I'm at the point where we are just having to watch her. I will call the vet tomorrow and see what they suggest.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
When was the last shot given?
Have you changed her food since kidding?

Latest posts