First time Momma

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She's been given her last shot of antibiotics today. She has 1 more shot of the fever reducer for tomorrow.

Her food is regular hay, alfalfa hay, Purina goat food, and free range. Plenty of water. I've not given sweet feed due to the molasses in it, not being good for fever.

I'm worried about the discharge. But not sure since it's not bright red blood, that maybe it's not a bad thing, but maybe a good thing? Ugh. I just dont know.

And now, I've ready uo on bottle feeding. Every 4 hours at 1 wk old. Can stretch 6 hrs over night. They both willingly took a bottle tonight...no questions they were just very hungry!!!

Reactions: TAH

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad they are taking the bottle! You may need to up the amount if the dam is completely dry now. I suspect she is still making some milk and the kids are just sucking it down.

I think the babies would be okay to go a little longer at night. I only do middle of the night feedings for the first few days of life. After that they don't seem to have any issues. But, if you don't mind getting up- that's great!

As always, talk to your vet about the discharge. Most does will have a discharge for about a month after kidding. That is natures way of clean the doe out. Of course if there is still infection (sounds like that is still going on) that is another story. I'm really wondering if the vet needs to do a uterine flush at this point.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Let's just say that any time we try to check her teats for milk, we can't milk ANY from her. Her bag I'd still fullish looking. Just not like when pregnant. I'll see if I can't get a picture tomrrow.

I can skip the 3 am feeding lol they will be ok for a few hours, just very ready for the bottle im sure.

I will see how mom does the next day or so with the last antibiotics in her. I'll call the vet from there.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does have a discharge after kidding for about three weeks. It can be bright red, milky pink and thick, and dark red. That sounds pretty normal to me. The fever still really worries me though, especially if it is that high and still on fever reducer. She either has another infection somewhere or the antibiotics aren't working. I know this sounds weird, but does the discharge smell at all?

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Does have a discharge after kidding for about three weeks. It can be bright red, milky pink and thick, and dark red. That sounds pretty normal to me. The fever still really worries me though, especially if it is that high and still on fever reducer. She either has another infection somewhere or the antibiotics aren't working. I know this sounds weird, but does the discharge smell at all?

Odd as the question is....no...I smelled some after I first noticed it when she peed earlier today. I picked up the leaf it was on and smelled. Knowing infection would have a smell, this did not. My boys about threw up watching me smell it. But I taught them there is a time for things to be gross, and this wasn't one of them. That it was serious.

On that note. We just fed the babies the last 4 oZ battle each for the night. I didn't even have to ask the gurl. She took it, without even holding her she chugged it down. The boy, stubborn butt he is...after some coaxing drank it right down.

The staph sores on the doelings rear are scabbard over and almost gone..yay. one less thing. And the boy has no sign of it.

I'll call the vet tomorrow and see about a possible new antibiotic since her fever won't break.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know if someone is home with them to feed 3x but if not you can make a feeding bucket. I used to put ice in mine to keep the milk cool and leave it for them while I was at work. It worked great.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
@nstone630 would your human kids be willing to feed a bottle after school?
It might be a good idea to weigh the kids so you can make sure they are gaining well. If possible, weigh them weekly.

I have been meaning to ask but keep forgetting to mention it, but have you wormed momma doe or check her fecal? I think you said when you discovered she was first bred, she had a 400+ EPG (I can't remember the exact number). At this point she has had a bloom and this is probably taking her as well. When they are taxed, milk production goes down. Ask you vet about worming her, s/he might not want you to do it just yet with the other drugs the goat has had.

You could tape the dam's teats. If you tape them well, the kids can't pull them off and within hours you will see if her udder starts filling.

@babsbag do you think these babies need more than 4oz a feeding? My lamancha dairy goats drink more than that!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Catching up on how things are going - sorry your doe is having troubles, but sounds like you're doing well with her and the kids so far, and getting good advice from experienced folks here. Hope you can keep working with your vet and she continues to improve.

Last edited: