First time Momma

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I believe that the hope was that they were still getting milk off of mom; if they aren't then they definitely need more than 4oz. My Boers were easily drinking 8 oz 3x a day at 1 week. Think about a dairy doe that is giving 3/4 of a gallon a day with no kids. Put kids on her and you might get a pint from her, the kids are getting the rest. They are little milk machines.

I would say 8 oz now, 12 oz at 4 weeks and 20 oz. at weaning.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another thing I forgot to mention…

I would put her on good, loose minerals. The blocks aren't great as it is, hard for goats to get everything they need from it and they aren't supposed to EAT it. They are supposed to lick it, when they try to eat it, it damages the teeth and the doe still isn't getting everything she needs.

We really like the Manna pro minerals from TSC.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is really good news. Hope that it stays down and that whatever it is the is troubling her goes away for good.

Are the kids still trying to nurse off of her?

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That is really good news. Hope that it stays down and that whatever it is the is troubling her goes away for good.

Are the kids still trying to nurse off of her?

They are trying to nurse. We are going to separate her from them for some time today to see if her bag fills. Just to check milk production. In the mean time we are supplementing bottle feeding 3 times a day 8 oZ whole milk. They love it and are taking the bottle with no problems now. The boy is a little chubby thing, wanting his bottle and then some.