Goat Hoof Trimming

BootsNDaisy

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you! Yes, had to change browsers. Very helpful video! That was very nice of you to take the time to make it and show everyone! :D

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Glad you could view. I cannot however take credit for the making of it - only the sharing of it :)

Lizzielou118

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for showing this video! Great info, I wish I had seen this when I first started with my goats :p What a time I had!!

flylo

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hoof Trimmers:
The ones in the video look like the ones I've always used. You may go through a number of styles before you settle on the ones you like. These are light weight garden trimmers. Teflon coated blades, and the blades are really short. They stay sharp 'forever', and both sides of the blades are sharp. Don't get the anvil style garden trimmers, with one sharp blade and one flat dull blade.
I think Caprine Supply carries the ones I like.

flylo

OH, I forgot!! a rasp is also handy if you have goat hooves that have gotten tough and really grown out or over on themselves. You may not be able to take the toe all the way back in one session. A hoof rasp (or plane) will help smooth rough spots and get both toes equally flat.
For goats with feet that are a lot harder to cut, a soak in warm water will help soften them so they're somewhat easier to trim. And, take advantage of any rainfall that will help to soften tough goat hooves. Don't despair if you're only able to take a sliver or so off at a time. The more you handle the feet and the goat realizes you're not hurting her/him., the more they'll allow you to work with them.

Note: I don't have goats now!! I've raised dairy goats from the mid 1980's to 2001. Now that I'm retired, I've decided to get a couple of doelings and raise them up to be our future milkers. Mid April, (hopefully!!) I'll be the proud owner of 2 Saanen doelings.
I am remembering things I thought I'd forgotten after all these years. So nice to know there is a great online goat community now.

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've only trimmed my goats hooves a few times, but what I've found to be a great help is to first nip about 1/4-inch off the point of the long tip of the hoof first. This will allow you to see if there is any dirt/poo lodged at the tip of the hoof and then make it easier to get out with the tip of the shears. This also then gives you a starting place to get the tip of the shears under any curled under edges and trim them easier. It kind of gives you a starting place is what it does. You can trim back the tip a little more once you run out of places to put your shear tips until you reach the bottom of the hoof and until you see where to stop cutting at the hoof bed tissue. I was really proud of my last trimming for my goats, because their hooves all were flat to the ground again and they looked normal for a change. They were somewhat overgrown, but not really badly, but I couldn't believe how much better they looked. We found that my husband could hold the kids we have that are about 10 and 7 weeks old in his lap and it was easy to give them their first trim this way. Even the little ones can begin to get overgrown hooves pretty quickly if they are on soft ground like ours are all of the time. I want to put a u[ cinder block tower or platform in the pen for them to climb on so that they will keep their hooves from growing as fast and not needing trims so quickly. I would love to have a large boulder, but of course that isn't in the budget at this point. Anyway, hope this helps everyone get over some of their fear when they are trimming hooves. It's really very easy, just have to get the goats to cooperate. I put mine on the stanchion to hold them and it works really well. Good luck everyone!

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wish my goats would sit still like that. They are small, but they are mighty! I have to pretty much sit on them and they still get the best of me.

bj taylor

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I just got my first little goat herd. they're boer/myotonic. the doe is 1 1/2 yr & the doelings are 3 mo. I can't imagine them being still enough to trim their hooves. i'm going to get the shears, but I also am intrigued by the cinder block tower as a way of them keeping their hooves down a little.

chicken pickin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This is a good thread. And I enjoyed the video. WHen I picked up my doelings I had the breeder show me how to trim the hooves. She trimmed one of my girls and it seems easy though Im nervous at how squirmy they are and very nervous to trim too much or not clean all the crud out. Im going to try it soon since my second kid didn't get a trim that day so I need to go buy my trimmers and give it a whirl. I am really hoping to give them a rock pile of some sort to wear there hooves. And other ideas for natural wear?