GW & SBC's kidding thread: 2019

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love it OFA!

Princess kidded. It was pretty rough.
Long labor and the first kid was DOA.
Second buck is alive but clearly was very stressed. He can’t stand yet but is eating.
Princess isn’t drinking but she is eating hay. Still has not passed her placenta.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks all. The remaining buckling is doing better, he can stand a little. He’s eating fairly, but not near as much as what would be “normal” for our goats.

It has been an exhausting day. Just so much going on along with the kidding. The kidding was really stressful too. I’m still worried about Princess, going to give her some CMPK and need to take her temp.

The weather sucks right now.

I’m bummed about the DOA, I know it happens but I’m really more sad for SBC… she was so hoping for a gopher eared buck to keep from this breeding. Of course the DOA was gopher eared and just beautiful. All in all though, I’m glad to have a living kid & dam!

Vet was also out today to treat Lilly again. I was really encouraged- she thought the leg looked phenomenal! Sometimes I wonder if I do enough and today that was just nice to hear.

I need to milk and feed again. Then catch up on emails/messages. Then milk again. Then some sleep! The milkers are ticked right now. They want milked NOW! Lol

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks all. The remaining buckling is doing better, he can stand a little. He’s eating fairly, but not near as much as what would be “normal” for our goats.

It has been an exhausting day. Just so much going on along with the kidding. The kidding was really stressful too. I’m still worried about Princess, going to give her some CMPK and need to take her temp.

The weather sucks right now.

I’m bummed about the DOA, I know it happens but I’m really more sad for SBC… she was so hoping for a gopher eared buck to keep from this breeding. Of course the DOA was gopher eared and just beautiful. All in all though, I’m glad to have a living kid & dam!

Vet was also out today to treat Lilly again. I was really encouraged- she thought the leg looked phenomenal! Sometimes I wonder if I do enough and today that was just nice to hear.

I need to milk and feed again. Then catch up on emails/messages. Then milk again. Then some sleep! The milkers are ticked right now. They want milked NOW! Lol
Has she shed yet? Did you give oxytocin?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
On top of the kidding problems, you have been fighting the weather too. It looked to be worse for TN and NC than for some of us, and it seemed like it just kept coming. We are finally seeing some sun this afternoon....but the wind is getting pretty gusty. It will help dry it a little, but then there will be downed trees.... Some minor flooding has occurred, and our fields looked like @Mike CHS for awhile yesterday too.
I hope the kid continues to improve. We have one new calf on the ground and more due anytime.... at least we have some sun to look forward to for the next few days.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Has she shed yet? Did you give oxytocin?
She did pass it. She is still not 100% though. Kinda staring into space and not all the way with it. I'm giving CMPK and will start redcell.
She is barley drinking and not eating pellets (feed). She is nibbling on hay.
The buckling is doing better but not near robust like all our other kids have been. He is eating the amount my newborn Nigerians eat.

On top of the kidding problems, you have been fighting the weather too. It looked to be worse for TN and NC than for some of us, and it seemed like it just kept coming. We are finally seeing some sun this afternoon....but the wind is getting pretty gusty. It will help dry it a little, but then there will be downed trees.... Some minor flooding has occurred, and our fields looked like @Mike CHS for awhile yesterday too.
I hope the kid continues to improve. We have one new calf on the ground and more due anytime.... at least we have some sun to look forward to for the next few days.
It has been horrible. It poured for days. We didn't get a break. I'm trying to not let it stress me out too bad. I can't change the weather.
Deep breaths..... I am thankful to have dry barns and while we are dealing with so much mud, there ARE dry areas out in the fields that the goats can lounge around on.

I hope your calf thrives! This weather is tough. I got the entire kidding barn mucked and scraped and bedded down today. I'm sore now LOL Everything was so wet I had to keep throwing bedding down. The building was a mess! So glad to have that done. I have most of the kids on a lambar now and most the kids we are selling are sold and will be picked up over the next coming weeks.

It's getting late and I need to feed and milk and bottle feed then catch some zzz's.

I have more to update but need to go. We had a scare with one of our Nubian does last week but thankfully she is okay. I also have some really big news but not quite ready to post it :D

I am just sick about LS. :( I can't believe it.