GW & SBC's kidding thread: 2019

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She did pass it. She is still not 100% though. Kinda staring into space and not all the way with it. I'm giving CMPK and will start redcell.
She is barley drinking and not eating pellets (feed). She is nibbling on hay.
The buckling is doing better but not near robust like all our other kids have been. He is eating the amount my newborn Nigerians eat.

It has been horrible. It poured for days. We didn't get a break. I'm trying to not let it stress me out too bad. I can't change the weather.
Deep breaths..... I am thankful to have dry barns and while we are dealing with so much mud, there ARE dry areas out in the fields that the goats can lounge around on.

I hope your calf thrives! This weather is tough. I got the entire kidding barn mucked and scraped and bedded down today. I'm sore now LOL Everything was so wet I had to keep throwing bedding down. The building was a mess! So glad to have that done. I have most of the kids on a lambar now and most the kids we are selling are sold and will be picked up over the next coming weeks.

It's getting late and I need to feed and milk and bottle feed then catch some zzz's.

I have more to update but need to go. We had a scare with one of our Nubian does last week but thankfully she is okay. I also have some really big news but not quite ready to post it :D

I am just sick about LS. :( I can't believe it.
I did not finish reading, but if your doe is not eating and staring off and stuff you might check her for ketosis. Ketosis can be deadly. You could start with some warm water with molasses or if you have propylene glycol.
if she did not shed within 24 hours I would have her checked by a vet and get her started on cleaning out and get her an antibiotic.if

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
there is an old boost called Magic you can do to you can either use molasses or corn syrup and cream corn sounds gross but it's high energy.

I need there's some water in it too I'm not at home so I don't have access to my little book in my brain won't give me the exact amounts

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
She did pass the placenta, our vet was out Sunday night but she didn't have to do anything with this doe.
Thank you! I have it all handled :)
I already have everything for ketosis. That isn't her issue though. She ate great this morning! :celebrate Right now I think this was just a tough labor for her.

I prefer the PG over the the other drenches, but right now I don't feel she needs it as it isn't ketone issues.

I am working on getting her drinking better, she doesn't want molasses water :(

I hadn't thought about creamed corn- that is a good idea in a pinch! We use Dyne and like it a lot.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She did pass the placenta, our vet was out Sunday night but she didn't have to do anything with this doe.
Thank you! I have it all handled :)
I already have everything for ketosis. That isn't her issue though. She ate great this morning! :celebrate Right now I think this was just a tough labor for her.

I prefer the PG over the the other drenches, but right now I don't feel she needs it as it isn't ketone issues.

I am working on getting her drinking better, she doesn't want molasses water :(

I hadn't thought about creamed corn- that is a good idea in a pinch! We use Dyne and like it a lot.
It is great to hear she's doing better this morning. I have never heard of dyne. what do you use that for? If you have anywhere that has Manna Pro goat electrolyte near you I have found it just about everybody even when were me sick drink that and want more
yeah, you can and drench that creamed corn with corn syrup or molasses in it sounds absolutely disgusting.
if she likes any of those electrolytes maybe she will drink quicker. I love to just read and find out what people found Works in there so many conditions you don't know about learned that the hard way. I've just learned to go ahead and treat what doesn't killhurt if I am unsure to be on the safe side. Sometimes you're just not sure and waiting too long is not the option.I would rather give them something they don't need that won't really hurt them then not have given it and find out later I was dead right.I lost my best Doling last year because I hesitated on a treatment based on what more experience goat people said and discounted my gut.. by the time I decided heck with it I was going to do the treatment anyway it was too late. If I had just given it wouldn't have killed her if I was wrong, but waiting made it likely too late. I may have lost her anyway, but I lost her for sure by waiting.

I figure the less I hesitated and the more I learn the fewer will be on my wall that I cry for because I didn't know. my beautiful Echo was on that list because he was in with four other bucks and everybody seemed fine till the night he didn't come up and by the time I got him to the vet he busted his bladder. And yes I feed ammonium chloride but apparently he wasn't getting enough of something or he was just susceptible. Now I watch every buck pee once a week, something I never thought I would do.

Last edited:

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
isn't that the truth FEM. the rest of the world can keep their trips. quads and quints. give me a nice healthy set of twins.
While Iwould agree on the quads and quintuplets with the exception of Dragonfly who does it with no trouble. I can't agree on the triplets because for me I consider them a blessing and I made a promise that when I get a triplet I sell that baby, and I buy a goat through Compassion International for a family somewhere in the world to bless them. Because I figured I've been blessed.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Daxigait you are always welcome to post here! I do appreciate the heads up :) Thankfully, at this point we are pretty experienced and know what to watch for and how to treat, but it is always nice to have a "fresh set of eyes"! If we are ever in doubt about something, or worried we will always call our vet! :)

The doe is doing so much better, eating better and drinking well. She gobbles down had which makes me happy!
Dyne is a high fat/high calorie/energy supplement that can work wonders. The goats generally like the taste also.
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...NV_lwscxbTbHulmT8AU6R9AS6wK78KsgaAjr-EALw_wcB

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
My poor Ruth is so huge. April can't come soon enough for her!

bred Ruth.JPG

I pulled out a few coming yearlings that I need to sell, I have so many in this age group it doesn't make since for me to keep them all.
These are the two girls that will be up for grabs. They are looking so nice! They have crazy winter hair though!
Lis (1).JPG

Roxy (3).JPG