Help needed please...trying to save my eight month old doe, got her in august ,

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
sorry to hear :hugs:hugs
sorry to hear :hugs:hugs
th
[....QUOTE="Goat Whisperer, post: 571496, member: 9889"]I am so sorry for your loss. How heartbreaking :(

Can you schedule a C-section for the other doe? The kids may not be viable but it could save the remaining doe.[/QUOTE]
Thank you, vet said c section was not advisable due to young age of goat, nutrition from birth and apparently the buck was larger than breeder said....but going to follow vets recommended plan, preparing for thr worst and hoping fot the best

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry you lost Samantha, I checked on here after milking hoping for a better update. It is so hard to lose them. Is the vet giving you some treatment options for your other doe to try and get her through this?

You could take the doeling and have a sonogram or blood test done to see if she is bred and if she is she would only be a few months along and you could give her lute and let her abort the baby and grow up. Why oh why is this breeder keeping babies and bucks together? Heck I have some that are 8 months old now and I am trying to decide if I am breeding this year or not. So very irresponsible of the breeder.
The breeder has offered me a doe born in august, i don't know if i should take it or not, what re your thoughts ?

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
The breeder has offered me a doe born in august, i don't know if i should take it or not, what re your thoughts ?
Yes, i am going to follow his directions to keep her going....he expects same out come, but i plan on giving it a shot and doing my best...i am a retired end of life giver, human diseases and death are normal for me....except for my animals, she is the first one i have lost since 1977

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ca
I am so sorry you lost Samantha, I checked on here after milking hoping for a better update. It is so hard to lose them. Is the vet giving you some treatment options for your other doe to try and get her through this?

You could take the doeling and have a sonogram or blood test done to see if she is bred and if she is she would only be a few months along and you could give her lute and let her abort the baby and grow up. Why oh why is this breeder keeping babies and bucks together? Heck I have some that are 8 months old now and I am trying to decide if I am breeding this year or not. So very irresponsible of the breeder.
Thank you, you made me smile
Never give up. Keep fighting for her. Sounds like both kids got bred - unfortunate but you can handle it. Of she is tiny and the kids are shifting preparatory to kidding one may have pressed on a nerve, temporarily paralyzing her.
So glad you have a vet coming! Make sure to have him check both goats since the other one is bagging up now too. If they are too small to kid normally, he can do a C-section. They go in on upper side of goat, side opposite the rumen, NOT below belly, and if done before goat is too far gone, goat recovers and is fine. Saw one done at ADGA National Convention many years ago - older Nubian doe whose owner wanted a last set of kids from bloodline - 3 doelings and 1 buckling - doe and kids were fine. Doe was retired from breeding due to her age. Both goats will be fine now.

Stay calm and start collecting everything you will need for the birth. Here is a list:

Antibacterial liquid soap - this can be used as a scrub for your hands and also to lube up if you need to go inside doe to pull kids.
Goat book or photo print out of possible birth positions - if you have to sort out legs ad body parts this will help you visualize what you are feeling inside the goat - this is super important since you need to be sure you are pulling either both the front or back legs of the same kid.
Sharp scissors - to cut cord. Often t breaks or doe will bite it but I have had cords stretch out and break off too close to belly or be too long and you will want to trim it.
Iodine or alcohol for the cord - a pill bottle makes an excellent application tool, fill with iodine or alcohol, hold kid
and dip cord end into bottle. This will sterilize open cord and keep kid from getting navel infection (joint ill).
Clean old towels - to dry kids after birth - mom will do it but I like to help because rubbing will help stimulate a weak kid, also of you have to pull kids wrapping the slimy legs in the dry towel gives you a better grip if they are hard to pull out.
Nasal aspirator - I used the ones from the hospital when I had my babies. Now I get them from my daughter and daughter in law when they have babies. I like them better than the commercial ones because the nose is long. Any ind of bulb syringe will do. Place it in the nostrils and suck out mucous. In a long difficult birth the kids will often try to breathe and suck in birth fluids.
Dental floss - in case cord continues to bleed you can tie it off. If cord bleeds I put iodine on end, then squeeze cord closed and still squeezing slightly run fingers up cord to belly. This will often crush cord together and seal it off.
Antibiotics - in case you have to go inside goat to sort out and pull kids. Either injectable (I use penicillin which is available on line or from the feed store) or you can also order intra uterine pessaries on line.
PUT ALL THESE ITEMS INTO A BAG IN CASE YOU HAVE TO EVACUATE BEFORE KIDDING - YOU CAN GRAB IT AND RUN OUT WITH GOATS. I keep all my kidding/lambing supplies, except towels, in a carrying case in the barn so everything is handy.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score

goats, post: 571517, member: 18434"][/QUOTE]
She was checked by vet today, he expects smat out come. But he gave me instructions to keep her going to full term and told me how to do c section if momma starts failing, with same ptoblem samatha had...if it help you to know, i did contact breeder and flat out told her how stupid and unprofessional she was. Sho offered to give me doeling born in august ....what do you think i should do ?

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss. How heartbreaking :(

Can you schedule a C-section for the other doe? The kids may not be viable but it could save the remaining doe.
Vet said due to young age, same buck, and poor nutrition, they all wouldn't make it. So going to follow his plan, see how she progress in next week and if she is headed the same way, he showed me how to open her up lift kisds out and then put her down fast.....the poor nutrition was before she came here, i spoil and feed my girls better than i do myself. If she went to the university of fl, i would be in the thousand dollar range...without guarebteed results... said if it was his animal, he would do as i am planning to do. Will keep you all up to date, mentally drained and going to go to bed....thank you so much for your help,

Last edited:

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Never give up. Keep fighting for her. Sounds like both kids got bred - unfortunate but you can handle it. Of she is tiny and the kids are shifting preparatory to kidding one may have pressed on a nerve, temporarily paralyzing her.
So glad you have a vet coming! Make sure to have him check both goats since the other one is bagging up now too. If they are too small to kid normally, he can do a C-section. They go in on upper side of goat, side opposite the rumen, NOT below belly, and if done before goat is too far gone, goat recovers and is fine. Saw one done at ADGA National Convention many years ago - older Nubian doe whose owner wanted a last set of kids from bloodline - 3 doelings and 1 buckling - doe and kids were fine. Doe was retired from breeding due to her age. Both goats will be fine now.

Stay calm and start collecting everything you will need for the birth. Here is a list:

Antibacterial liquid soap - this can be used as a scrub for your hands and also to lube up if you need to go inside doe to pull kids.
Goat book or photo print out of possible birth positions - if you have to sort out legs ad body parts this will help you visualize what you are feeling inside the goat - this is super important since you need to be sure you are pulling either both the front or back legs of the same kid.
Sharp scissors - to cut cord. Often t breaks or doe will bite it but I have had cords stretch out and break off too close to belly or be too long and you will want to trim it.
Iodine or alcohol for the cord - a pill bottle makes an excellent application tool, fill with iodine or alcohol, hold kid
and dip cord end into bottle. This will sterilize open cord and keep kid from getting navel infection (joint ill).
Clean old towels - to dry kids after birth - mom will do it but I like to help because rubbing will help stimulate a weak kid, also of you have to pull kids wrapping the slimy legs in the dry towel gives you a better grip if they are hard to pull out.
Nasal aspirator - I used the ones from the hospital when I had my babies. Now I get them from my daughter and daughter in law when they have babies. I like them better than the commercial ones because the nose is long. Any ind of bulb syringe will do. Place it in the nostrils and suck out mucous. In a long difficult birth the kids will often try to breathe and suck in birth fluids.
Dental floss - in case cord continues to bleed you can tie it off. If cord bleeds I put iodine on end, then squeeze cord closed and still squeezing slightly run fingers up cord to belly. This will often crush cord together and seal it off.
Antibiotics - in case you have to go inside goat to sort out and pull kids. Either injectable (I use penicillin which is available on line or from the feed store) or you can also order intra uterine pessaries on line.
PUT ALL THESE ITEMS INTO A BAG IN CASE YOU HAVE TO EVACUATE BEFORE KIDDING - YOU CAN GRAB IT AND RUN OUT WITH GOATS. I keep all my kidding/lambing supplies, except towels, in a carrying case in the barn so everything is handy.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can get ketone strips at the drug store and you can test her urine to see how she is doing. I do believe in miracles so keep on giving her the best and hopefully it will work out. She needs the best nutrition she can get right now, high in calories and low in volume. I would look at adding some calf Manna to her diet...slowly of course.

As I stated before, I would take the kid and have her checked.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
After retiring from end of life caregiving , i am way to organized with the prep kit, towels and supplies , my husband laughs at me....i plan for the worst and pray for the best outcome....people passing i can do...no matter of the situation i can handle it.....but my animals, omg, i hold it together and stay focused and stay with them....but today i told her she was not going to die period....well that was not the outcome i wantd, like i tell dieing patients familys. ..when you are too close, sometimes the brain can't process what the eye sees.

Latest posts