Help needed please...trying to save my eight month old doe, got her in august ,

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Never give up. Keep fighting for her. Sounds like both kids got bred - unfortunate but you can handle it. Of she is tiny and the kids are shifting preparatory to kidding one may have pressed on a nerve, temporarily paralyzing her.
So glad you have a vet coming! Make sure to have him check both goats since the other one is bagging up now too. If they are too small to kid normally, he can do a C-section. They go in on upper side of goat, side opposite the rumen, NOT below belly, and if done before goat is too far gone, goat recovers and is fine. Saw one done at ADGA National Convention many years ago - older Nubian doe whose owner wanted a last set of kids from bloodline - 3 doelings and 1 buckling - doe and kids were fine. Doe was retired from breeding due to her age. Both goats will be fine now.

Stay calm and start collecting everything you will need for the birth. Here is a list:

Antibacterial liquid soap - this can be used as a scrub for your hands and also to lube up if you need to go inside doe to pull kids.
Goat book or photo print out of possible birth positions - if you have to sort out legs ad body parts this will help you visualize what you are feeling inside the goat - this is super important since you need to be sure you are pulling either both the front or back legs of the same kid.
Sharp scissors - to cut cord. Often t breaks or doe will bite it but I have had cords stretch out and break off too close to belly or be too long and you will want to trim it.
Iodine or alcohol for the cord - a pill bottle makes an excellent application tool, fill with iodine or alcohol, hold kid
and dip cord end into bottle. This will sterilize open cord and keep kid from getting navel infection (joint ill).
Clean old towels - to dry kids after birth - mom will do it but I like to help because rubbing will help stimulate a weak kid, also of you have to pull kids wrapping the slimy legs in the dry towel gives you a better grip if they are hard to pull out.
Nasal aspirator - I used the ones from the hospital when I had my babies. Now I get them from my daughter and daughter in law when they have babies. I like them better than the commercial ones because the nose is long. Any ind of bulb syringe will do. Place it in the nostrils and suck out mucous. In a long difficult birth the kids will often try to breathe and suck in birth fluids.
Dental floss - in case cord continues to bleed you can tie it off. If cord bleeds I put iodine on end, then squeeze cord closed and still squeezing slightly run fingers up cord to belly. This will often crush cord together and seal it off.
Antibiotics - in case you have to go inside goat to sort out and pull kids. Either injectable (I use penicillin which is available on line or from the feed store) or you can also order intra uterine pessaries on line.
PUT ALL THESE ITEMS INTO A BAG IN CASE YOU HAVE TO EVACUATE BEFORE KIDDING - YOU CAN GRAB IT AND RUN OUT WITH GOATS. I keep all my kidding/lambing supplies, except towels, in a carrying case in the barn so everything is handy.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well my update is a painfull one, samantha is gone, the vet did every thing he could, we even cut her open to try and save baby.....she was as you all said...toxic, two weeks premature and vet thinks other sister will go the same direction. Will be trying to save other girl but also need to mend my heart and prepare hurricane.....thank you , each and every goat loving owner....never give up hope...peace to all...barb ...dammm i am so heart broken

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that you lost her. Don't let this ruin your desire to own goats. These things happen and the person you got the animal from is the one responsible for this loss. I suggest after you are through grieving that you contact a reputable breeder and acquire replacement animals that you KNOW will have been properly cared for. Best wishes that the second doe doesn't follow in the first doe's hoofsteps... Please also know that you are still welcome here at BYH. Hope you'll let us know the outcome of the 2nd doe.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry that it ended this way. Like LS said- please don't let this curb your desire for these awesome animals. You've had a baptism by fire but you've also learned a lot and someday it might be your turn to help someone and their animal.
Really hoping the other doe can get through it with flying colors and that you at least get some little ones to help ease the loss of Samantha.

:hugs

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love you guys, i do have three registered ADGA goats and two bucks that we, keep in other pasture, and have (now) three "pet" quality does here.... after all was done, and while i was busy feeding other goats, they were smelling samatha on me and asking wher she was...you all know how they know,... all of a sudden the sky got dark and it started to rain hard, i cried while the rain washed away the tears....be blessed and thank you so much, the support kept me going

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have contacted the breeder....she wants to give me a doeling that was born in august, i asked her if she was in the same area as the buck, she said yes but the buck has no intrest in her .... what do you think i should do...take the doe ...or not ?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry you lost Samantha, I checked on here after milking hoping for a better update. It is so hard to lose them. Is the vet giving you some treatment options for your other doe to try and get her through this?

You could take the doeling and have a sonogram or blood test done to see if she is bred and if she is she would only be a few months along and you could give her lute and let her abort the baby and grow up. Why oh why is this breeder keeping babies and bucks together? Heck I have some that are 8 months old now and I am trying to decide if I am breeding this year or not. So very irresponsible of the breeder.