Help needed please...trying to save my eight month old doe, got her in august ,

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hate that we just moved here and the human hospital is two hours away, vets arend here ars dog, cat and horses,,,,,what about goats...it is mostly farm country her....

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Have you tried calling the vet anyway? A goat birth can't be that much different than a large dog.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE TX! So glad you joined us, but sorry for the reason. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Now probably isn't the time, but later, you should browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

I only have a couple years experience... nowhere near the level as some others here. I had a doe get pregnant @ ~7 months last fall and she delivered with no issues at all. Not as young as yours, but in the wild, when they are in season, they get bred. In your situation I would be trying to assist with the birthing process. It sounds like she's worn out from trying to have them. IMHO, she's either not dilated enough, which you may be able to help with massage, or the first kid is misrepresenting and can't get out. Either way, she'll need help or you'll lose the doe and kids. Glove up and lube and you'll have to go internal and try and determine what's going on... If you7 can get a finger or two past the cervix, you should be able to feel hooves or nose... if not, then you'll need to try and determine what part of the kid you're feeling.

ETA: what breed of goat is it? Pictures always help when you need help...

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
IF your goat has been in labor - and I'm talking about REAL labor, for two days she will die without help. A C-section might be needed...OR you could do an internal exam and actually see what's going on. What you see on the outside has little to nothing to do with what is going on inside.

You are all she has right now and she needs your help.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you tried calling the vet anyway? A goat birth can't be that much different than a large dog.
I called and asked her yesterday, she said she doesn't even know of one that would come this far out. So i will be changing vets as she seemed not to value a goats life...and i just came back in from barn and she shows no signs of discomfort and laying down while sitting....couldn't do that three hours ago. So i am going to wait on going into check and let her rest toll 5am. I did order a vidio baby cam with sound, to save on trios $52.00, its worth the pain in my back, feet and brain. Thank you so much!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
IF your goat has been in labor - and I'm talking about REAL labor, for two days she will die without help. A C-section might be needed...OR you could do an internal exam and actually see what's going on. What you see on the outside has little to nothing to do with what is going on inside.

You are all she has right now and she needs your help.
Her "labo" is not a hard or any kind of labor that i have seen, perhaps kids position could be caus of pain, will go in in the morning to check for sure, maby they will be ready for a rocket launch birth ! Fast, easy and all girls, lol. Thank you

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:idunno Hope come morning you go out and discover live kids on the ground all dried off and plump from drinking mother's milk. Please let us know. Good luck. :fl

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I
Her "labo" is not a hard or any kind of labor that i have seen, perhaps kids position could be caus of pain, will go in in the morning to check for sure, maby they will be ready for a rocket launch birth ! Fast, easy and all girls, lol. Thank you
I am sorry how my spelling is comming thru, tablet has a mind of it's own !