Help!! New goat mommy in CT.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Two of his best a doe (tri) approximate 2 years.. Bred and her doeling (black snd wite) born in Oct...

What makes them his "best" does. So many people say "best" doe but have no real reason for saying that.
Is she best by confirmation?
Best because of dairy output?
Best udder? etc...
where does the best come in?

He says she's probably bred. Is that possible with just having her in Oct?
Do you mean she kidded in Oct and is now re-bred or was this doe born in Oct?

They are asking $200.00 more than the first two?!

A bred doe SHOULD cost more, however you would want to make sure she is bred or have something where they will breed her if not.

Personally, I have never had anyone ask me if I would take less $ for a goat.
I will however discount to a degree, for previous clients or those that are buying multiple animals. Not including chickens.
If they are buying a Lgd and goats or several goats etc.
If they were buying 2 goats , no I would not take off $50 per goat.

As far as quarantine- same herd no in/out animals is good, you may want to quarantine for deworming protocol, and or possible shipping fever issues...

4 goats are even better than 2 goats. ;)

Dogma

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What makes them his "best" does. So many people say "best" doe but have no real reason for saying that.
Is she best by confirmation?
Best because of dairy output?
Best udder? etc...
where does the best come in?

Do you mean she kidded in Oct and is now re-bred or was this doe born in Oct?

A bred doe SHOULD cost more, however you would want to make sure she is bred or have something where they will breed her if not.

Personally, I have never had anyone ask me if I would take less $ for a goat.
I will however discount to a degree, for previous clients or those that are buying multiple animals. Not including chickens.
If they are buying a Lgd and goats or several goats etc.
If they were buying 2 goats , no I would not take off $50 per goat.

As far as quarantine- same herd no in/out animals is good, you may want to quarantine for deworming protocol, and or possible shipping fever issues...

4 goats are even better than 2 goats. ;)
I'll have to ask about best,, I know he keeps his heard by color choice and small size. The doe kidded in oct and is now probably bred again... He reports.
The reason I offered less is because I purchased two bred does in nov from him and nothing was found on ultrasound...also all the goats were $150.00 each.. Now they are 250.00 each.. Same herd.. Not registered or tested..
I thank you all for the input. :) I love goats!!!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll have to ask about best,, I know he keeps his heard by color choice and small size. The doe kidded in oct and is now probably bred again... He reports.
The reason I offered less is because I purchased two bred does in nov from him and nothing was found on ultrasound...also all the goats were $150.00 each.. Now they are 250.00 each.. Same herd.. Not registered or tested..
I thank you all for the input. :) I love goats!!!

I would pass. :hide

Better to focus on a breeder that understands what to breed for, who can be helpful and mentor you. No testing... no registration... and if best is by color that is just plain silly. We all like flashy goats but flashy doesn't make milk, doesn't mean good parasite resistance, or good udder and teats. I do unregistered goats right along side our registered... so I am not a registered goat only snob :D but I can say I still strive for the same goals... a good producer, a nice udder and teats, long lactation, structure etc...
If a producer is not doing that and selling pets only than the price should reflect that. I know that will vary by region.

At this point you may want to consider investing in a good quality buck. Breed your does.

The one thing my DD thought was odd was he is selling his best doe?????? Um you don't sell your best doe.;)

Being new to the game of goats there is already so much to learn and the more goats the more potential issues. Yes, they are addicting for sure! But sometimes it is nice to take it slow. There are going to be so many kids available very soon. Many kid in March, so come May you will have a lot to choose from. Getting some does from unrelated stock is also very beneficial long term.

As you know we are all enablers here so in the end we support you whatever you do. :p

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Dogma - I have to say, I'm pretty much with @Southern by choice on this. While price is extremely important for us, quality is too. Given the fact that this breeder sold you "bred" does who are not, in fact, bred, and his WACKY ideas, like color is most important, no testing, etc., I would certainly look elsewhere for future does. You may want to ask him about re-breeding the girls. I realize it was probably not discussed originally, but maybe since you have been looking at other does in his herd, he may consider it to keep you "on the line". That way you could end-up with some kids without more expense. I would also keep an eye out for a buck(ling). Since you definitely want more goaties, having your own herdsire (and his wether pal?;)) could avoid future non-bred/should've been bred issues.
It's nice not to have to rely on someone else for breeding, so look for a quality buck(ling) for your own. I believe it's totally worth it. Of course, we got our boys as an unexpected surprise, since Tulip blessed Mark with triplet bucklings, and we still have no does. Upside is we can offer stud service, and even though I would never charge Mark, he has agreed to give us pick of the litter! We are also going to stud for his friend who got Cowboy, Janick & Jaeger's brother. He has Mark's former doe, Blossom, an unrelated female with whom Mark just failed to bond. Her daughter, Laurabelle, is Mark's still, and Jaeger's 1st "intended". She's a beautiful tricolor, and her mom is black/white. We are excited about babies! Oh! The possibilities...:celebrate

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with the others. I would pass :hide

I think its odd that someone would sell their "best doe". Many people will claim their doe its "their best doe" when they are trying to sell it to you ;) If she TRULY is the best, why would he sell her? Does she have kidding issues? Bad mother? Is she a snob with the other goats? Does she bite? Let me tell you, having a goat that bites is AWFUL!

Best doe? I just have a hard time wrapping my head around that.

Color is always nice, but that doesn't make the goat. When I look at a goat, the last thing I think about is the color. There are far more important traits that you should look for before you let color make your decision.

I would be very careful when buying from someone who is trying to make them tiny. You want dwarfs to be small, but when you get them to be so tiny you have a much greater risk of kidding issues. My 60lb ND might be able to deliver a 5lb single kid with no problem, but could his 35lb ND?

I also don't understand why he would breed the doe back so soon. Is she an escape artist or it this his normal practice?

Did he sell you the 2 does as bred or exposed?

I was looking back at some of your older posts when you first got the girls.... Why didn't the breeder go over the feeding schedule etc. with you? Why wouldn't he try to educate the very people who are going to take his "babies"?

When you are looking at the possibility of bring more goats in you should always be ready to walk away. I cannot stress this enough. I have walked away from many many goats. Its not always easy but thinking back, I am happy I did.

Please know that I'm not trying to slam this breeder. I have seen so many newbies get taken advantage of by breeders who think they can get a quick buck :rant

Now, don't get me wrong! They ARE adorable :love I love all the pics you have been posting :love

Dogma

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would pass. :hide

Better to focus on a breeder that understands what to breed for, who can be helpful and mentor you. No testing... no registration... and if best is by color that is just plain silly. We all like flashy goats but flashy doesn't make milk, doesn't mean good parasite resistance, or good udder and teats. I do unregistered goats right along side our registered... so I am not a registered goat only snob :D but I can say I still strive for the same goals... a good producer, a nice udder and teats, long lactation, structure etc...
If a producer is not doing that and selling pets only than the price should reflect that. I know that will vary by region.

At this point you may want to consider investing in a good quality buck. Breed your does.

The one thing my DD thought was odd was he is selling his best doe?????? Um you don't sell your best doe.;)

Being new to the game of goats there is already so much to learn and the more goats the more potential issues. Yes, they are addicting for sure! But sometimes it is nice to take it slow. There are going to be so many kids available very soon. Many kid in March, so come May you will have a lot to choose from. Getting some does from unrelated stock is also very beneficial long term.

As you know we are all enablers here so in the end we support you whatever you do. :p
Thank you so much. :)

Dogma

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree with the others. I would pass :hide

I think its odd that someone would sell their "best doe". Many people will claim their doe its "their best doe" when they are trying to sell it to you ;) If she TRULY is the best, why would he sell her? Does she have kidding issues? Bad mother? Is she a snob with the other goats? Does she bite? Let me tell you, having a goat that bites is AWFUL!

Best doe? I just have a hard time wrapping my head around that.

Color is always nice, but that doesn't make the goat. When I look at a goat, the last thing I think about is the color. There are far more important traits that you should look for before you let color make your decision.

I would be very careful when buying from someone who is trying to make them tiny. You want dwarfs to be small, but when you get them to be so tiny you have a much greater risk of kidding issues. My 60lb ND might be able to deliver a 5lb single kid with no problem, but could his 35lb ND?

I also don't understand why he would breed the doe back so soon. Is she an escape artist or it this his normal practice?

Did he sell you the 2 does as bred or exposed?

I was looking back at some of your older posts when you first got the girls.... Why didn't the breeder go over the feeding schedule etc. with you? Why wouldn't he try to educate the very people who are going to take his "babies"?

When you are looking at the possibility of bring more goats in you should always be ready to walk away. I cannot stress this enough. I have walked away from many many goats. Its not always easy but thinking back, I am happy I did.

Please know that I'm not trying to slam this breeder. I have seen so many newbies get taken advantage of by breeders who think they can get a quick buck :rant

Now, don't get me wrong! They ARE adorable :love I love all the pics you have been posting :love
Thank you all!! As a newbie I am trying to understand all of this craziness!!! I am going to wait and be a goat mommy to the two I have. I'm not ready to spend another $500.00 on more goats when I still have no clue what I'm doing!! Lol. I am trying my best to learn and provide the best for these two love bugs. :)
The breeder seems to have them all as pets and doesn't use them for milk, meat etc... Honestly he baffles me.. I purchased the two I have as bred does and the first ultrasound showed nothing... They both go in Wednesday for the second ultrasound and fecal. The vet is hoping Nutmeg is not bred.. So will keep our fingers crossed that Ginger is bred. I appreciate the help as I'm so new to this.
Does anyone recommend a good book.. I purchased and read one.. That honestly wasn't very good or informative!! Thank you. :)

Dogma

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Dogma - I have to say, I'm pretty much with @Southern by choice on this. While price is extremely important for us, quality is too. Given the fact that this breeder sold you "bred" does who are not, in fact, bred, and his WACKY ideas, like color is most important, no testing, etc., I would certainly look elsewhere for future does. You may want to ask him about re-breeding the girls. I realize it was probably not discussed originally, but maybe since you have been looking at other does in his herd, he may consider it to keep you "on the line". That way you could end-up with some kids without more expense. I would also keep an eye out for a buck(ling). Since you definitely want more goaties, having your own herdsire (and his wether pal?;)) could avoid future non-bred/should've been bred issues.
It's nice not to have to rely on someone else for breeding, so look for a quality buck(ling) for your own. I believe it's totally worth it. Of course, we got our boys as an unexpected surprise, since Tulip blessed Mark with triplet bucklings, and we still have no does. Upside is we can offer stud service, and even though I would never charge Mark, he has agreed to give us pick of the litter! We are also going to stud for his friend who got Cowboy, Janick & Jaeger's brother. He has Mark's former doe, Blossom, an unrelated female with whom Mark just failed to bond. Her daughter, Laurabelle, is Mark's still, and Jaeger's 1st "intended". She's a beautiful tricolor, and her mom is black/white. We are excited about babies! Oh! The possibilities...:celebrate
I truly appreciate this much input!!! I'm defiantly going to slow down and enjoy the learning process. I guess I was just wishing the youngster would have a fun playmate to run around with.
The breeder did offer me to bring them back to try again in spring.... If indeed not bred. But looking for a buck may not e a bad idea. To bad you weren't closer for those stud services ;) haha. I am enjoying the learning process and look forward to more opinions. :) thank you.

Dogma

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Back from the vet. Neither is bred and they are now parasite free :) she was happy because she wants Ginger healthier weight and Nutmeg older before being bred... I've gotta wean Nutmeg..going to try bitter apple on mom see if it helps. Any suggestions appreciated.. She doesn't want them separated. Thank you all