Help!! New goat mommy in CT.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Dogma, you can try to tape Ginger's teats. You can get the white paper tape at Walmart. It is in the aisle with the band-aides. It is 1" wide and not expensive.

The trick is to turn down a corner of the tape before you apply it across the teat so you have something to hold on to when you remove the tape.

Here is how I do it... imaging your index finger is Ginger's teat. Take one piece of tape long enough to go down one side, across the end, and up the other side. Fold down one corner and apply. Take another piece and do the same thing, crossing like an "X". Ginger may not like this, or she just might stand still for you... all depends. Nutmeg will have a difficult time getting anything this way.

If Nutmeg should be able to suck the tape off, you can always put a third piece of tape around the circumference of the teat. Just be careful to not tighten the tape and cut off circulation to the teat.

Good luck with your weaning. Please do keep us posted on your girls. They are a couple of cuties!

Dogma

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Dogma, you can try to tape Ginger's teats. You can get the white paper tape at Walmart. It is in the aisle with the band-aides. It is 1" wide and not expensive.

The trick is to turn down a corner of the tape before you apply it across the teat so you have something to hold on to when you remove the tape.

Here is how I do it... imaging your index finger is Ginger's teat. Take one piece of tape long enough to go down one side, across the end, and up the other side. Fold down one corner and apply. Take another piece and do the same thing, crossing like an "X". Ginger may not like this, or she just might stand still for you... all depends. Nutmeg will have a difficult time getting anything this way.

If Nutmeg should be able to suck the tape off, you can always put a third piece of tape around the circumference of the teat. Just be careful to not tighten the tape and cut off circulation to the teat.

Good luck with your weaning. Please do keep us posted on your girls. They are a couple of cuties!
Thank you so very much!!!! I will try bitter apple first... Then tape... As I'm cringing At the thought of pulling the tape off, lol. :)

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree on the tape. Do you have clippers? You could just shave the hair off the teat so you won't have a jumping doe LOL

Let us know if the bitter apple works. I know it wouldn't work for any of our guys, once they get a little milk they seem to forget the nasty taste!

Dogma

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So far the bitter apple seems to be helping, I just need to remember to reapply frequently.

I have yet another question?!?
When Ginger and Nutmeg see my dogs..ginger will head butt the fence and stomp... Then Nutmeg will head butt her mom (Ginger) and then go up on her back legs.. And then get in between mom and fence.. Mom always seems to be trying to push her back and protect her.
Is Nutmeg learning to defend herself or is she defending the dogs?! It's just weird. Lol.. Do they normally do this?!
As always. Thank you all. :) Heather

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Dogma, I really doubt that Nutmeg is defending the dogs. Goats usually view dogs, except @Southern by choice's, as wolves and they, the goats, don't like them, the wolves. Nutmeg is probably reacting to what Ginger is doing. Nutmeg could be thinking her mom is playing and wants to get in on the action, you know "hey mom, let's dance!"

Dogma

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Dogma, I really doubt that Nutmeg is defending the dogs. Goats usually view dogs, except @Southern by choice's, as wolves and they, the goats, don't like them, the wolves. Nutmeg is probably reacting to what Ginger is doing. Nutmeg could be thinking her mom is playing and wants to get in on the action, you know "hey mom, let's dance!"
Thank you.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@animalmom nailed it. Goats are afraid of dogs and peoples pet dogs, as well as neighbor dogs, and stray dogs are responsible for many of goat deaths. I think dogs are more of an issue that coyotes in some regions.

Our goats do not like dogs either except for their guardians... they love their guardians and they really do know the difference.

Dogma- you are a good goat mommy! You should be proud of yourself. You notice so much and are very in-tune!

Dogma

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@animalmom nailed it. Goats are afraid of dogs and peoples pet dogs, as well as neighbor dogs, and stray dogs are responsible for many of goat deaths. I think dogs are more of an issue that coyotes in some regions.

Our goats do not like dogs either except for their guardians... they love their guardians and they really do know the difference.

Dogma- you are a good goat mommy! You should be proud of yourself. You notice so much and are very in-tune!
This means so much to me. Thank you. I'm so nervous and just want my girls to be the happiest and healthiest they can be!!! I'm so thankful to you all for the coaching :) I'd be a wreck without this site and my awesome vet!!! :) lol :)

islandbayou

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hey Lady... just to clarify, there are NO wrong questions... EVERY question, especially for you right now, is a valid one and most will simply lead to more questions. Goatie kindergarten so to speak ;) All the Q's everyone is asking you back isn't to make you feel like you did something wrong... It's to help you learn more :) And not all Q's have a yes/no right/wrong answer... The answer just is what it is.

You're doing great and your goats are just fine from what I can see! Keep learning!
I just got two female goats about 4 months old. I have them grazing and give them sweet feed as a small treat, to help tame them to come close to me. I give them baking soda and goat loose minerals at free choice, and of course fresh water. What should I be doing besides this?