Herding Dogs

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can't believe we don't have a herding dog section on BYHs! Anyhoo....in the market for a herding dog so I can eventually have help moving these sheep around and I think I found one. Will go look at him on Wed. evening. Anyone familiar with the Hangin' Tree Cowdog breed? I didn't even know they existed but have been doing some research and reading up this evening. This pup is half HTC/half BC and all beautiful.

Can't wait to have an all-purpose farm dog on hand, just as a companion, work partner and critter gitter. I miss my old Jake, who had to be put down due to pain from old age issues. I'm hoping this pup will fill his shoes nicely.

1595292284213.png

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
He's sure pretty, no matter his breed:D I absolutely LOVE to watch herders work a flock. Of course, many so intense they will herd the pine cones! -- anything and everything. This one, from the read, seems to have a little more work ethic in other respects.

I was looking on web last night for a "general farm dog". I'm looking harder at the Great Swiss. Nothing at all decided yet! I like the Bernese Mtn but a short life span. Great Swiss have similar appearances, shorter hair, larger size and some qualities I think are more to my fit. :idunno It's not anything I'm rushing into.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was looking on web last night for a "general farm dog". I'm looking harder at the Great Swiss. Nothing at all decided yet! I like the Bernese Mtn but a short life span. Great Swiss have similar appearances, shorter hair, larger size and some qualities I think are more to my fit. :idunno It's not anything I'm rushing into.
I have a female BMD and she is an excellent farm dog, no herding instincts, but a good watcher. Very sweet and loving. If she has a fault it's that she gloms on to you and pants like a steam engine. Very loyal, but the heavy panting, especially in your face on a hot day, makes me send her away to lay down elsewhere. This makes her feel bad, poor thing.
I like the Swissy's shorter coat, and they are an attractive dog.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ooo okay I will deffiently be interested in this one. Stella needs a buddy. Our goat panda has hurt her confidence. Panda will go after her of she in a 10-20 feet of panda personal space. I have to hold panda to get her to work and little lady has also be come somewhat of a handful as soon as it cools we going to be working stella harder to get her back up to par. I hope he works out and I be looking for one around here. I had thought o get a healer.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goat are harder for them to herd. They tend to be more willing to head butt. If you have a more aggressive herd member remove them during training. When she starts out use the more docile herd member to train her to build her confidence. My first goats were more docile then my current herd queen. Stella is only a year old and she can handle the cows better then the goats. She will have to be more aggressive when handling the goats because of their personalities. Work on your command first for a while using toys and other critters first. Stella will even herd the chickens, water fowl plus hold them for me. But like I said that one goat scares her and I have to hold that goat while she works the rest.

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Goat are harder for them to herd. They tend to be more willing to head butt. If you have a more aggressive herd member remove them during training. When she starts out use the more docile herd member to train her to build her confidence. My first goats were more docile then my current herd queen. Stella is only a year old and she can handle the cows better then the goats. She will have to be more aggressive when handling the goats because of their personalities. Work on your command first for a while using toys and other critters first. Stella will even herd the chickens, water fowl plus hold them for me. But like I said that one goat scares her and I have to hold that goat while she works the rest.
Yeah my one year old doe Dixie is super mean to Luna and Luna is so scared but will sometimes snap at Dixie

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ooo okay I will deffiently be interested in this one. Stella needs a buddy. Our goat panda has hurt her confidence. Panda will go after her of she in a 10-20 feet of panda personal space. I have to hold panda to get her to work and little lady has also be come somewhat of a handful as soon as it cools we going to be working stella harder to get her back up to par. I hope he works out and I be looking for one around here. I had thought o get a healer.

They have a page on FB where you can find folks selling pups and adult dogs and even some offered from rescues. I just joined that group hoping to gain some insight into the breed. It does sound like the all round farm dog type of breed I've been needing since Jake died...but with a perk. The herding instinct.

Now, I've been training dogs for years to not chase the chickens, so this will be difficult to find a place wherein the pup can't herd the chickens but he can herd sheep...but only when I say so. Will be doing a LOT of studying up on how to accomplish that before he gets old enough to get into some bad habits. I don't want to sour his taste for herding either, so much learning to be done on my part.