Herding Dogs

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually true with most animals. They have their moments! :D

But consistency of words has to come to owner/trainer also. I did horses for so long, my goats know "whoa, stop, back" :lol: It just comes out of your mouth!
Your goats are better behaved than my sheep. All they know is, “She’s got a FEED BUCKET! Knock her down and take it!”

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your goats are better behaved than my sheep. All they know is, “She’s got a FEED BUCKET! Knock her down and take it!”

Now you need a Dooley, Bay! There are a ton just like him in TX. Remember how the sheep would trample me every time I go to feed Blue, so much that I had to keep a stick handy to beat them off me and him? Now they stand WAY back....about 40 yds back. And Dooley is just a tiny puppy! Imagine how powerful he'll be when he's a full grown dog?

I'm really liking having a sheep dog!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our friend that we buy hay from has a black mouth cur puppy. He has started the pup on cattle, moving young steers from one pen to another. He is going to bring our steer next week. I think I'll ask him about bringing his dog to load the steer back up when we take him to slaughter in March. That ought to be fun.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our friend that we buy hay from has a black mouth cur puppy. He has started the pup on cattle, moving young steers from one pen to another. He is going to bring our steer next week. I think I'll ask him about bringing his dog to load the steer back up when we take him to slaughter in March. That ought to be fun.

You'll have to let me know how that all goes, what commands he gives and how the dog responded. Don't forget to ask how old that pup is and how much training he's put into it. I wish there were places or people near me who had herding dogs I could maybe source or gain a mentor from.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Black mouth cur dogs are used around here for cattle and hog dogs. Those dogs are born knowing what to do. This puppy is already nipping at their heels and discovered he could BARK!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Black mouth cur dogs are used around here for cattle and hog dogs. Those dogs are born knowing what to do. This puppy is already nipping at their heels and discovered he could BARK!

That seems to be the only time Dooley barks also...when he's working the sheep or wanting quick attention. It's not a constant yipping but just a few yips for emphasis, it would seem. Like, "Here's my teeth and if that's not enough, I'm going to yell at you too."

BYH Project Manager

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
Hi @Beekissed
Can't believe we don't have a herding dog section on BYHs! Anyhoo....in the market for a herding dog so I can eventually have help moving these sheep around and I think I found one. Will go look at him on Wed. evening. Anyone familiar with the Hangin' Tree Cowdog breed? I didn't even know they existed but have been doing some research and reading up this evening. This pup is half HTC/half BC and all beautiful.

Can't wait to have an all-purpose farm dog on hand, just as a companion, work partner and critter gitter. I miss my old Jake, who had to be put down due to pain from old age issues. I'm hoping this pup will fill his shoes nicely.

View attachment 76212
Hi @Beekissed - so sorry to read about old Jake, yet excited at the same time about Dooley. Seems very adorable!

PS: Check out out Livestock Guardian Dog section here: https://www.backyardherds.com/forums/livestock-guardians.75/
:weee

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi @Beekissed

Hi @Beekissed - so sorry to read about old Jake, yet excited at the same time about Dooley. Seems very adorable!

PS: Check out out Livestock Guardian Dog section here: https://www.backyardherds.com/forums/livestock-guardians.75/
:weee
[/QUOTE]
Not sure why I should check out the LGD section? LGD are not herding dogs and not even in the same breed characteristics or purpose. Did I miss something?

Latest posts