Hey!!! Pig People!!! how many are there of us?

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We are 2 days overdue and I am pulling my hair out. I have a wedding to go to tomorrow leaving early in the morning. Hate to come home and find things went badly. She is pretty uncomfortable tonight has been that way for 3 days. Milk has been in for 2 days and she has built a nest today. Hoping she goes during the nite tonight as I am watching monitor. I will post pics. I have dialup and can't post a video. If I catch the birth I'll try to take some photos of the process.

MammaBear

Just born
Reaction score
We have 2 Duroc sows that we are keeping for breeding. We hope the one is pregnant. We also have 2 Hampshires and a blue butt that we are raising up for family and friends (and our) freezers. Took 5 to the auction today. They were those heavy muscled pigs. I liked them at first, but they just eat and don't seem to grow anywhere near as good as I like. Took the DH to the auction with me (always a crap shoot) and he bought 5 more. 4 look like spotted Poland Chinas and the other looks like a tan hampshire. Need to figure out just what kind she is.

Keep us posted on the pig babies!!.

larryj57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have 3 yorkshire Duroc crosses 2 gilts and 1 barrow. the guy i got them from said they were 8 weeks old. they are all around 60 lBS and I swear you can watch them grow from the morning until the afternoon feeding. I have them on about an acre good fence and plent of water, I hope to Butcher in early spring,

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
we are just doing the finishing touches to our pig pen should be done tomorrow! then we will be getting pigs. im hoping for tams or berks. to all of you who keep breeding sows - is it worth it to keep 2 breeding sows year round to keep supplying piglets for meat and for sale, or just buy piglets when we want them and raise them til butcher?
we are having a hard time deciding if we want to try our hand at keeping 2 sows year round or just purchasing piglets as we need them..

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
LOL! We are pig crazy here - love to raise them & eat them. We have just recently "downsized" to Large Blacks only but saying that we still have 17 sows/gilts & 10+ boars! We have what you might call a conservation herd as we have most of the different lines available here in the USA (& Canada).

Liz

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
dwbonfire said:
we are just doing the finishing touches to our pig pen should be done tomorrow! then we will be getting pigs. im hoping for tams or berks. to all of you who keep breeding sows - is it worth it to keep 2 breeding sows year round to keep supplying piglets for meat and for sale, or just buy piglets when we want them and raise them til butcher?
we are having a hard time deciding if we want to try our hand at keeping 2 sows year round or just purchasing piglets as we need them..
Having just got into pigs and deciding to breed and have piglets. I would say just buy some little ones and raise them up to eat, instead of doing the whole process. I'm already cutting some sows as I just don't have the time.
For the ones I'm keeping. Two Yorkshire x Duroc x Hampshire x GOS sows and one Large Black x Tamworth young Boar and a fixed Hog.

firstimehogger

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm a newbie with my first pig only been here about 12 days.
I only have 1, would love a couple to breed but not sure I could twist hubby's arm that far.
Mine is an American Guinea Hog, I intended for meat, but like him too much now, named him Chopper
so I'd REMEMBER he was aimed for the freezer, but I forgot the first day!!
Oh well.
He's about 14 Pounds and 25" long. I can't post a photo, but I take about 30-40 a day!!

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Mine is an American Guinea Hog, I intended for meat, but like him too much now, named him Chopper
so I'd REMEMBER he was aimed for the freezer, but I forgot the first day!!
OH that's bad! I hope you have castrated him anyways.

Get some more & then you will be able to eat some OR spoil him really bad & then he will become so obnoxious & a total pain in the butt that you will be glad to shoot him in the head & eat him!

In all seriousness some pigs can be very dangerous. Their teeth are sharp & if you allow them to push you around you will regret it once they get older.

Liz