Huge lump on calf's jaw. Got some infection out or is it.....

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:welcome Farmerboy and may I say nice job on the structures and with your critters. Keep up the good work with being a good steward of the animals and property that you have. Looks like a nice farm you are starting. I look forward to hearing about and seeing new pictures as your farm grows!

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. :D

I showed my mom this thread, and when I told her about using betadine for the calf, she said that we have it. So, I will use betadine on the calf today, after I get more infection out if there is any. Thanks for all the advice! I am liking this site a lot more! :frow

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I got more infection out this morning, but in very small amount. I squirted betadine inside the wound 2 times today.

Here is the picture of the wound-
9045062626638_ORIG.jpg

I think that he is acting better today. We will see on Saturday on how he is improving, before giving him antibiotics if he needs it.

redtailgal

Reaction score
The bright red is a good thing. Dead or dying tissue would be darker and dry looking. (I know you didnt ask about that but I was glad to see shiny red)

Keep working on that wound, your doing great.

If you end up getting some antibiotics, make sure that you get very clear instructions on how to inject it. Have someone show you how to aspirate for a blood flash, if possible.

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yesterday morning, I got a very small amount of infection out, did squirted betadine inside the wound. Today, 2 times, no infection came out, squirted betadine inside the wound both times. It keeps scabbing over, and I had to peel it off before trying to get infection out. At this point the lump is small as a bantie egg, still firm. What should I do at this point?

I had finished the fencing for the calves today, and got the fencing hooked up to the new charger. Let the calves out for the first time, but the fencing had some bad connection, so the calves went willy nilly through the barb wires. My siblings had to chase the calves back several times, then we pinpointed where the weak spots are, then got that fixed. Then let the calves out again, then ZZAAPP!! ZZAAPP!! They respect the fence!! :bun

Here is today's picture of the calves enjoying the new pen. :D

Before the let out-
10045080887927_ORIG-1.jpg

After the let out-
4045194464739_ORIG.jpg

Enjoying the grass on the ''hill'' with puppy on top.
6045193352434_ORIG.jpg

7045193352461_ORIG.jpg

November
2045194464696_ORIG.jpg

3045194464725_ORIG.jpg

Pancake
8045193352491_ORIG.jpg

The creek in the woods at the bottom of the ravine. Its part of the calve's pasture, but they will not access it until spring. It will be their waterhole.
6045195039191_ORIG.jpg

5045195039175_ORIG.jpg

3045195039113_ORIG.jpg

5045194464752_ORIG.jpg

redtailgal

Reaction score
I like the waterhole, lol, and they will surely enjoy it this spring. Be prepared for a muddy mess!

As for that knot, keep pulling the scab off and squirting that betadine twice a day. The lump may or may not go away. Give it a good feel twice a day, if it starts feeling soft, or hot, then check for more pus. Rub it pretty good, rough it up a little to encourage some extra bloodflow to the wound.

Your doing a good job with these calves. Are they to be pets or food?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Eventually you will want to leave that scab on and just check for softness, additional swelling, redness or heat at the abscess site. That hard knot may never leave or may just reside slowly on it's own.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Beekissed it right, you will want to leave the scab on eventually. Good point Beekissed.

Once the wound has healed so that its not a hole. When you can see the bottom without having to pull it open...when the "soft" swelling is gone. The point in pulling the scab off is to force it to heal from the inside out, so that the outside doesnt close up, trapping in bacteria and causing another infection.

Your doing a wonderful job, trust your gut on when to stop removing the scab!

Royd Wood

Reaction score
New pics are good and oh how I would love a stream of water like that through our place. Our creek dries up soon after spring but I have a pumped well for our animals water supply.
Are you planning to band or pinch the calves nuts and do the horns

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok, I will do what you two suggested.

Got tiny amount of infection out this morning, but it hurts Pancake, that he just about flip himself over. Sigh, its not easy. But it got to be done. :/

Royd Wood-

The creek dries up in mid-summer if we do not get enough rain, sometime it does not dry up at all in the summer. Just will have to keep an eye on it when it has not rain in 2 weeks.

We will have the bulls banded in the fall or sooner. I have already de-horned them with de-horning paste. It works great. :)

redtailgal-
One will be for the freezer, and the other will be sold to help cover the cost of raising them when they are 23 months old. It will be sad for me, as I am already bonding with them, exp November. :( I had saved his life when he was being born breech, my very first time to witness a calf being born. You can read more on here- http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/newestpost/601194

Today's picture with fresh snow-
1045243281866_ORIG.jpg