In the real world news today Thurs, November 29 2018

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your taste? Used to be you could get trichinosis from commercial pork so it had to be cooked well done. But that is a thing of the past and medium, even a bit medium rare is OK.

Even recently, until I interceded and explained that to wifey, she insisted pork be cooked until it was dry and tasteless and we had to have apples or applesauce anytime she cooked pork. Applesauce was reputed to kill worms that might be in pork.
There are fewer than 20 cases of trichinosis reported in the US each year.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pork...my taste. Don't want it dry but, no pink in center. I use thick cut chops, so dry hasn't been an issue. Thankfully. Plus, my have been from home grown piggies….not white meat. :lol:

Seems odd since I can eat almost raw beef :D

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend at church today and he was telling me that the USDA recently changed the coming recommendations for coming pork. It was 175f(I believe, maybe 165f) and they changed it to 145f. Still cooked though.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
until I got married and started cooking on my own I had no idea that a pork chops didn't have to have the texture of boot leather. I have a hard time not over cooking the muscovie duck breast. don't care that it looks like beef steak my mind knows that its poultry and don't want it rare. and I agree with you @Mini Horses, not sure why raw beef is fine with me but raw pork or poultry is a no go.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even recently, until I interceded and explained that to wifey, she insisted pork be cooked until it was dry and tasteless and we had to have apples or applesauce anytime she cooked pork. Applesauce was reputed to kill worms that might be in pork.
That is my wife as well. And she has to have sauerkraut with it.
Applesauce kills worms :gig Musta been a lot of pork with no worms to get that believed.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
In the real world news today, July 25...
Over 200 salmonella infections linked to backyard chickens, CDC warns
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...linked-backyard-chickens-cdc-warns/832091002/

Just over 1/4th of the reported cases were children that had come in direct contact with the birds or their habitats prior to showing symptoms, meaning about 75% were adults or teens.
I believe this was in a lot of states cumulatively (40+ states IIRC) , not centered in one area and was over a time span of 4 months.

Proponents of backyard chickens remind critics and those concerned about illnesses that the problem is easily handled with handwashing and proper hygiene, and they say the number of people who own backyard chickens makes the number of those who have gotten sick an unimportant statistic.*

One Facebook group for backyard chicken owners has more than 25,000 members.
Another online forum, Backyard Chickens, has more than 360,000 members. Estimates of the number of backyard chicken owners are as high as 1 million in the U.S.

*What a silly thing to say.
Oh, I'm sure it is 'unimportant', right up till the point YOU or your kid becomes one of those 'unimportant' statistics.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Never a good thing to be a statistic... That being said, statistically, that number of infections is the equivalent of zero... 200/1000000=.0002 or .02% chance of infection. I would wager a guess that there are substantially more than 1 million households with backyard chickens as well. I would guess better than 10 times that number, which would make the chances correspondingly low at .002%

Sorry, but CDC or not, it really is a non-issue. It really is a very unimportant statistic. People get sick from lots of things.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is there a way to test your LIVE birds for salmonella?