Introducing new herd members

ChickenAndGoatLover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Those are 3 major stress factors. Each one is very stressful to the kid but all 3 together.... IMO bad move.
These aren't meat animals going to market. Are there lots of people that do this? Yes. They end up on this forum or others trying to figure out what is wrong with their otherwise healthy goat. Much depends on the individual goat and the management of the farm where you are getting them from.
If the kids are not on coccidia prevention (the south can have major coccida problems but it is not just a southern thing) they can have a bloom. Taking a fecal in within 4-7 days after you get them to check for coccidia is really important. Unless your breeder has another protocol. Probiotics are important and those are great to give.

The fact that he is weaned is great, the girls are newly weaned, that is fine... they are still weaned. I would ask the breeder to hold him for a week after banding if possible. They may charge you a boarding fee... but better then a goat coming in stressed, sore and then what? Are you able to tell if when he is standing off is it because he is sore from the banding? Or getting sick? Do you know what the scrotum should look like with banding? Have you been given any instructions?

I say these things NOT to scare you or disuade you it is because some breeders that are newer may not think to tell you these things, may not know, may know etc.
This is also something you should have knowledge of especially since you will have wethers. IMO it is one of the best resources on urinary calculi. We give this link to all our clients that buy bucks, oe wethers.
http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/SP/MG/Documents/SLIDES/Urinary calculi.pdf
I take it in no other way than you are trying to help me and prepare me for what is to come in these situations. I never thought of all of those small details in regards to him getting banded and what it would be like on him or how we are to notice anything abnormal and give him his best care. I am going to take a look at that website when I am done posting this. I do think it’s best we obviously try to wait and give him a week after being banded before bringing him home. He does have two brothers at our house but they clearly have been apart for quite some time and will be of no comfort I’m sure to him at this point.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to help me so extensively

ChickenAndGoatLover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Those are 3 major stress factors. Each one is very stressful to the kid but all 3 together.... IMO bad move.
These aren't meat animals going to market. Are there lots of people that do this? Yes. They end up on this forum or others trying to figure out what is wrong with their otherwise healthy goat. Much depends on the individual goat and the management of the farm where you are getting them from.
If the kids are not on coccidia prevention (the south can have major coccida problems but it is not just a southern thing) they can have a bloom. Taking a fecal in within 4-7 days after you get them to check for coccidia is really important. Unless your breeder has another protocol. Probiotics are important and those are great to give.

The fact that he is weaned is great, the girls are newly weaned, that is fine... they are still weaned. I would ask the breeder to hold him for a week after banding if possible. They may charge you a boarding fee... but better then a goat coming in stressed, sore and then what? Are you able to tell if when he is standing off is it because he is sore from the banding? Or getting sick? Do you know what the scrotum should look like with banding? Have you been given any instructions?

I say these things NOT to scare you or disuade you it is because some breeders that are newer may not think to tell you these things, may not know, may know etc.
This is also something you should have knowledge of especially since you will have wethers. IMO it is one of the best resources on urinary calculi. We give this link to all our clients that buy bucks, oe wethers.
http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/SP/MG/Documents/SLIDES/Urinary calculi.pdf
I just read the article...

What and How exactly do you feed your goats? And in my personal situation how would you go about feeding them? 3 doelings and 3 wethers

Right now I give them some grain, always have access to water, always have access to minerals and baking powder and also have hay along with their 2 acres of forage they have access to...

Anything else I should be giving? How much grain should I be putting out a day for them? Any supplements you recommend on a daily, weekly, monthly basis?

Thanks!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Remove the baking soda.... it renders the ammonium chloride useless
You want ammonium chloride in your feed

Depends on how much grain (feed) you are giving them

As far as supplements it all depends on your land and their condition etc.
There is no One size fits all in a management program. Always remember that management needs may need adjusted over time.

ChickenAndGoatLover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Remove the baking soda.... it renders the ammonium chloride useless
You want ammonium chloride in your feed

Depends on how much grain (feed) you are giving them

As far as supplements it all depends on your land and their condition etc.
There is no One size fits all in a management program. Always remember that management needs may need adjusted over time.
I was always under the impression it was best to help with bloat. I had read to leave our minerals and the baking soda. Interesting! Thanks!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Leaving out baking soda sadly is repeated over and over this is a bad idea. You should have in hand in case there is ever an issue but free choice actually can cause more harm than good.

We have never given it, and there really isn't a good reason to.
The goat makes it's own sodium bicarbonate so giving it may cause the goat more issues... much depends on feeding practices.
If bloat is a problem on the farm then there are issues that need to be addressed. This should NEVER be a common issue. Goats don't just bloat.

Attached is an article from the Alabama Farmers Co-op
http://www.alafarmnews.com/index.php/battling-bloat

ChickenAndGoatLover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Leaving out baking soda sadly is repeated over and over this is a bad idea. You should have in hand in case there is ever an issue but free choice actually can cause more harm than good.

We have never given it, and there really isn't a good reason to.
The goat makes it's own sodium bicarbonate so giving it may cause the goat more issues... much depends on feeding practices.
If bloat is a problem on the farm then there are issues that need to be addressed. This should NEVER be a common issue. Goats don't just bloat.

Attached is an article from the Alabama Farmers Co-op
http://www.alafarmnews.com/index.php/battling-bloat
I’m really grateful you found my post and have spent so much time trying to inform me of good practices. I honestly can’t thank you enough. Truly.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are welcome. Really, honestly, goats are pretty easy and the breed you have chosen is the easiest goat hands down!
The simpler you keep things the better.
Sometimes you start reading all this and can go wow.... uh... I don't know about all this now. Don't worry.
Hopefully you will find a good mentor that can help you along.

It is a learning curve like any new species of animal... but as long as they have the basics they are pretty hardy.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
:frow Welcome to BYH, from sizzling hot East Texas. How exciting to be growing your herd!!!

I started with 4 ND wethers (who are no longer with us). I have moved on to LaMancha dairy goats, and last Spring added a beautiful Nubian doeling. I love my goats and the milk they give us!!!

You have gotten some excellent advise from @Southern by choice. She is among the best advice givers on BYH (we have quite a few knowledgable goat owners here). She has owned goats from almost the beginning of time. :lol: She is also an expert on LGDs. Which by the way, I don’t think I saw you mention if you have any LGDs. They are almost a must, when you own goats. I have two wonderful Maremma’s, but I am by no means an expert. One is the minimum, that goat owners should have. But two is much better.

Again, :welcome.

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Baking powder will cause bloat. It reacts with acid to make carbon dioxide which gives baked goods light, airy texture.

Baking soda, sodium bicarbonate can aid with relief of rumen acidosis if goat over eats grain. It is not necessary unless you are pushing for milk production or weight gain with high concentrate diet. In fact animal is at risk of not eating enough loose mineral mix if they have free access to baking soda. The animal's drive to consume sodium (salt in the mineral mix) is what makes them eat correct amount of mix. The fad of free choice baking soda comes from commercial dairy cow industry back when they pushed high concentrate for milk production. Cows died of acidosis without baking soda.

Mineral mix is so important for goat's health. It should be balanced for your feed ration and your area. East Tennessee is deficient in selenium,copper, zinc and if you fail to provide minerals goat is at risk. Used to have to give selenium shots and risk overdose before mineral mixes became available.

Latest posts