is alfalfa bad for pregnant goats?

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My grandfather has been searching online and has read multiple posts saying that giving alfalfa to a pregnant goat or a goat who recently kidded will only cause negative affects. Is this true? The only hay we have has a high alfalfa percentage which both our goat and sheep love. Will it only cause her and her kids harm? Am I feeding her wrong?

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I fed alfalfa to Rosie during her last month and she was fine. It really helped with her energy and milk production.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Feed her the alfalfa, she will love you for it. They need the protein and the calcium that alfalfa offers. You can feed it to ALL of the goats...does, bucks, kids. There is some that say that feeding alfalfa to pregnant does can cause issues with calcium usage after kidding. It is a very complicated topic when many facets to it. Everyone I know that lives where alfalfa is available feeds it year round.

I will like to see what your grandfather is reading.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm glad.... my grandfather tends to find random websites and then makes us all go into a panic because he will start loosing his mind everytime he finds a website that contradicts stuff we do..... I may need to restrict his Internet searching.... :lol: jk (maybe, maybe not;))

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like the others said- it's fine to feed.

We had a doe that had issues after eating some very rich alfalfa.
She had been eating a lot of minerals lately (at that time) and was on a pretty good diet of feed (I think alfalfa pellets and calf manna too- if I remember right) and orchard grass hay. When we switched over it was to much on her and shocked her system. Yes, the hay was transitioned slowly.
I think because she was on a very rich diet the alfalfa pushed it to far.
Bloodwork confirmed and all the 'goodies" caused a build up in the liver. Once it was toned down we didn't have anymore issues.

She's had alfalfa since then with no issues. Just be careful if you are already feeding a rich diet!

Latest posts