Just Need a few Questions Answered

madelynmccabe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was think a horse type but a dog harness would probably work better due to the fact they don't like things on there face. You may even try once they are broke taking them on walks daily it would help.

Ok. Thank you so much!!

Reactions: TAH

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My ewes came off a 300 acre ranch. They were wild. But two of them gentled down, one is so-so and the other one keeps her distance. It is amazing what a little feed can do! Good luck with your goats and don't give up.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are young, so that is good!
Keep doing what you are doing, it does take time.

Keep them in the smallest pen possible, I have found that this makes a big difference. It is a good way for them to be up close and personal without you having to grab them.

madelynmccabe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry! I have yet another questiono_O. I was just thinking about this the other day and have been researching it a little. Can goats free range? Everything I've seen have people saying yes and no to my question, it all just seems to be a bunch of opinions. I live on 2 acres with a neighbor in front, the back of our property is blocked by a sheep fence, but everything else is wide open. I was thinking about once they friendly up, getting them a beep collar with an underground electric fence that takes up about an acre for them to do whatever they want on, (of course there would be TONS of training that will take place before I just let them loose on the beep collar) but is the beep collar a good solution? Thier area that they would be on is a feild with a chicken coop and literally nothing else, just green grass. With the right training will the beep collars ever work? Also, are goats like chickens in a sense. By this I mean are they homing creatures? If I let them loose without a leash would they decide to bolt and never come home? Or will they stay on our 2 acres and be fine like our hens?

Thier fence that they live in now is a fine size for them, but I would love for them to be able to run around with the chickens! When the chickens come near thier fence the goats want to sniff them and try to lick thier feathers! I think it would be fun for the chickens and the goats to run around together, since they are obviously curious about each other, but is it safe for the goats? (I know that everyone is worried about thier goats getting hit by cars, but that wouldn't be a danger to them if anyone was wondering)

Thanks!
Madelyn

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The issue is you don't really know.
Some goats get out of fencing and will go for miles, some are never found again.

When we go to our vets it is through back country roads... there is a whole herd of pygmy/nigerians that were always tearing down the fence... the owner finally gave up... these goats roam all up and down the road different sides of the road etc... quite comical really, but they tend to stay in the immediate area of the farm

You really do put your goats at high risk however for predators and mostly stray dogs.

A good safer option would be to run some 3-4 strand hot wire... inexpensive but safe. You can put up an area easily for very little money.

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My goats tend to avoid poisonous plants like poke and holly (but I have no azalea).

I wouldn't trust them to free range, the grass is always greener kind of thing. I do live along a rather busy road.

That said, I just walked outside and one was waiting for me at the back door! Not sure how she got out of the hot netting area but the other two didn't.

madelynmccabe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Would a beep/shock collar work? I know it would take a lot of training to know thier boundaries and know what the beeping means before they get a shock.

Our chance of stray dogs are REALLY RARE all of our neighbors have chicken, sheep, and horse friendly dogs. They are mostly herding dogs and stay beside thier owner no matter what. I've only had one bad run in with my chickens and a stray dog in 10 years, but he found a good home in the city, so he's no worry anymore!