KIDDING SUPPLY LIST & Kidding NOTES

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
But in a barrel the dam can't get in and the kids are confined to not jump.
If this is your weather now you probably won't need it.... looks like spring is fully under way. :)

Sally Sunshine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
lol no that was last summer o_O gotcha! dang but I do have a barrel I have for backup ER water.... :thumbsup

MikeLM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don't think you need to worry about heat this time of year. The only time I have ever used heat was an early February Kidding when it was about 0*F.

Sally Sunshine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
2078000262107237832%253Faccount_id%253D2

Kid was outside yesterday morning and sent me this pic, she said she tried for ten mintutes to get a pic of the white goopy stuff coming out of pheebes privates but she kept running away from her lol. still no kids and ligaments still hard.....

Sally Sunshine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So May 25th The Pheebe our brown doe had Healthy Beautiful twin bucklings!
NO ISSUES!!! Thank the Good Lord!

A few notes of things I learned that I didn't know SO FAR!
(remember these are MY notes I jotted down and things I noticed and are for sharing my experiences)

First and foremost, ligaments are unreliable as I checked her a few hours before she kidded and they were solid as before, they are forever changing in elasticity and drove me insane but its true at kidding they are completely gone, by then I would assume I know she is having a kid.

Also unreliable is the ity bits of mucus plug white looking sometimes only a tint of green. I noticed the really clear green stuff is a bit closer to kidding.

Udder: It didnt get a whole lot bigger just before or just after either lol. it filled a bit more meaning the teats had a more frontward tilt, but it wasnt an instant change either. Its really not as big as I thought it would get nor are the teats, but I am new at all this, I guess I had this image in my mind with a hand full of teat milking :p perhaps I need bigger goats?:cool: more? :D

BABY CAM in the Kidding PEN: I am so glad I put it in there! Craigslist, Ebay, local sales on FB, where ever ask a friend... WORTH the cash! I suggest you research the distance in feet to your kidding area first and if you have good wi fi you can set up a wi fi system which I wish we had, I would have one in every pen all the time! Anyways, If it wasn't for the monitor, I wouldn't have heard ONE off sounding scream? nah not really a scream just off a bit enough to make me look at the monitor and see her already laying with her legs straight out pushing and a black blob on the ground behind her.... <insert run in oversized night Tshirt, grab basket of kidding supplies, sweatshirt, glasses, barely charged cell, no socks so opt for flip flops..... pouring, wet muddy, this cant go well right?>

NOTE: It wont hurt to have an extra cell charger already in your kidding kit! I know, I know, we didn't have any of these things days gone by, but we do now and I would have liked to share this with my kids via video a bit more if I could have!

Sooo... There is Pheebes laying there licking clean a black and white little adorable kid, I am so excited I am shaking and so happy its head is upright and bobbing! (I breed English springer spaniels so birth is nothing that new to me, but this was still extremely exciting!) I kick my flip flops into the corner and search for the nasal aspirater, duh its still in the package I forgot to clean it! Grabbed the rub alcohol bottle, cleaned inside out and dried well too, then cleaned the kid. Good thing I did because I actually got a big string of goop from the back of the throat, the nose was clear, as the kid sneezed clear just fine.

As far as cleaning the baby, she did it all. It was shivering so I did grab it and take a old bath towel that I had cut in half and rubbed him briskly as mom was still licking him too. Worked great when he was fluffy he stopped being so chilled and started to try to get up right away! I dipped his Cord in the iodine, I forgot the cheap bathroom cups so I had to use the little jar I had aready had in the basket, (the cups I think are well worth getting because we use them to dip teats after milking anyways)

Sooooo The pic belows says 12:15AM first born..... (next born was 12:30)
(yes I was still in my night shirt at that time, dont ask lol)
9032737730108879860%3Faccount_id%3D2.jpg

The puppy pads I didn't like to wipe the kids down, they are nice to put under the does behind and mine :eek: or under the kids though! Papertowels well I think that was just wasteful on so much goop and mom tries to eat them but GREAT for my own hands. Hand Sanitizer a BIG bottle is great! I didnt have time to take a water bucket out to wash my hands or anything. Nor did I think to WASH my hands b4 I ran out! I know I am OCD but I may do a bleach teat wash recipe from fiasco, the one drop blue dawn, 2 Tablespoons Clorox to quart water and put in a container I can seal and keep out there so I can just open it to wash my own hands for next girl.

Pheebe was up and walking licking the baby a bit, I was worried as I read to get the kid on the teat withing half hour of kidding, I honestly had no clue of the time. All I can say is, time is going much slower than you probably think it is so try to relax. Pheebe cried one or two times not bad at all looking at her butt and laid back down, one loud scream cry here comes the next baby legs out and just like that the baby slipped out easily, still in the sack.

This is where I will add the VIT E before delivery does WORK! I know it does, I have delivered four of my own children and I also have found the benefits of vit e orally and other before deliver, If I had known for my first kids I probably wouldn't have had as many issues and ripped so bad, sorry it is what it is, its amazing stuff! Info on Vit E is above in the Kidding list....

Pheebe just laid there chewing her cud, the kid was born still in its sack and she is chewing cud? like now? really Pheebe? she looks at me a baaaaahhhh just a light little lazy baaaahhh, I swear she said, go ahead I know you want to... I told her, oh no this is your deal, I had my kids, its all on you girl..... she baaahhh again this time even more pitful. I sat and waited....
and waited

now remember where I just said time is probably going much slower than you think? well ya, IDK I just dont know, :lol: she baah baah one last time and it threw me over the edge, I grabbed a fresh towel and the aspirator and tore open the sack only at its head, dried its head and cleared it. pulled him halfway up to momma and made her do the rest...... she was happy to do so then ;)
12:30 kid 2
3474445294802685714%3Faccount_id%3D2.jpg

ok I had no clue if she was done or not, but cared for this kid the same and checked to see gender etc. moms privates looked fine, she was up and licking them good and urging the new baby up. All went great!

I was going to wipe moms utters off because she was so wet from birthing but noticed the kids licked her because of the amniotic fluids so I will assume that is a natural thing! cool! Anyways with clean hands I gave each teat a good squirt or two and the kids did pretty good on their own learning to stand under her and drink....
This is mom after birth....
5869103425734032883%3Faccount_id%3D2.jpg

Didn't do anything to the hanging out stuffs above image, it was short enough she wasn't pulling on it or anything, And I know we are not to pull on it at all or can bleed the doe. Anyways, about 2 hours later her placenta came out...
NOTE.. <if you have to run to go to the potty> dont let your kids watch them for you unless you explain to them that the placenta may come out and that the white things in it are not worms they are veins :gig or they will scream to you in the video monitor for their dear lives to come quick its the end of the world. Or you could stand and watch them in the monitor and Laugh your butt off at them.......

3662214049721765262%3Faccount_id%3D2.jpg
6393180329678235964%3Faccount_id%3D2.jpg

pics of them a few hours after they were born.... AND
18698374_1400926326666180_8601788320553121358_n.jpg

18698326_1400926463332833_8862386925143247997_n.jpg

18664599_1400926596666153_4551280094710502598_n.jpg

THANK YOU FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HELPED ME AND ALL THE INTERNET FOR THE LOADS OF INFO OUT THERE FOR ALL OF US TO GRAB AND FILL OUR BRAINS WITH!!! :thumbsup

Last edited: