KNIVES!! What kind/brand is best?

Dreubber

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What brand/kind of knives do you recommend?

We have ducks, chickens, rabbits, quail, and a prego goat (processing the kids when older) we also plan to buy a pig to butcher. until we can get more land. then we will get lots of critters

Last edited:

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use whatever I have. We got a box of Cabela knives that I generally use, but they are in desperate need of sharpening. My current favorite is a filet knife. Sharp and flexible.

Sharp is probably most important thing about your knife. Dull knives are difficult to work with and can be dangerous. I've gotten cut by dull knives more often than sharp ones.

Have you slaughtered anything before?

FarmerD

Just born
Reaction score
if you have some coin to spend, try Helle. the steel quality is exceptional, as is the build quality. good steel is key to a good edge.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just sharpen up all of them and put in a old fashioned dish pan. My sharpening efforts leave a lot to be desired. I don't have a favorite brand, but my Old Hickory knives hold an edge better.

FarmerD

Just born
Reaction score
i enjoy a good knife, and ive had a few of various quality. the one i carry everyday and keep in the cupholder of the truck when i dont carry it is a sog flip. i beat the crap out of it and it hasnt died yet. i think it was about $60. on the rare occasion i sharpen it, it holds an edge ok. that said, when i process anything that every took a breath, i grab something better.

Dreubber

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have butchered quail, chickens, ducks, rabbits and a lamb thus far.

koop

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
A good knife is the first step, but get yourself a knife steel, even the pros use the steel regularly.
I was using one of those filet knife sharpeners (red plastic with ceramic rods), but I let my buddy use a steel on my blade, it was like a switch was turned on!!

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
For chicken and turkey, I use a folding utility knife with a replaceable blade, like a box cutter. Sharp is the most important thing, and I can just switch in a new blade.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I carry a Leatherman folding multi-tool for day to day work. Knife is sharp if I keep it sharpened. I do not use it t process. I appreciate the needle nose pliers with wire cutter because in dealing with rabbits always grasping hardware mesh or wire for repairs or something. I cut open crushed lime sacks or wood pellet bags weekly, and the occasional feed sack.
That said, I have some nice knives leftover from twenty and even thirty years ago we used for processing rabbits. They are stainless steel. One is a heavier butcher knife, and the other is a medium sized paring knife. The other day at
Wa*-**rt I came across an inexpensive 3" blade Farberware knife that has a simple green vinyl handle and a ceramic blade. It is so sharp it puts my steel knives to shame. Feels surgical or something. It never needs sharpened as long as it doesn't get knicks in the blade. If it does, it is trash. But, for $3 that is ok. I plan to look again and if they have more, I am buying up a couple of spares. Might sound like an infomercial, but I have been raving abt this knife to everybody.