Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is there a reason you don't use Ivermectin for worming? Yeah, there is a withdrawal on the milk unless you want to be wormed, but I honestly never worried about it when I was the one drinking it. Some people say it doesn't work, but you won't know if you don't use it.

The mulit-min may cause injection site abscesses. If you are really good with your IM technique it may not, but just be warned.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the Ivermectin was no longer viable as a wormer as it has decreased efficacy in goats... :hu Also, when I looked at the dosing amounts it seemed like a lot to give orally without it spilling out of their mouths and being wasted. 30 cc's is quite a lot IMO...
upload_2017-11-8_11-38-15.png

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
30ml (of Ivermectin) is for a 125 lb goat. Are you sure your girls weigh that much? Since your girls and our girls come from @goatgurl, the should be similar size, right? When we weighed our two in May (on our Vet Scale), Ruby was 105 lbs and Falina was 100 lbs. They are in good condition. You said Bang & Dot are on the thin side. So, I would think they would weigh less than Ruby & Falina. :hu

Last edited:

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
We use safeguard and ivermectin here. Both work.
That's why doing the EPG's is important. You can see if the de-wormers are working.
Its understanding the efficacy of the dewormer. It is also understanding the particular wormer you are using. Knowing the type of parasite you are dealing with is critical. I think SBC has posting about this several times.

If you have liverflukes then Ivermectin won't touch it.

No sense in pulling out the "big guns" if they are not needed.
Safeguard is still my favorite. It has to be given at the right dosage for 3-5 days.
Works great.

For the ivermectin we use the 1% cattle dewormer (injectable) but give orally per out vets recommendation.

I would think the does are over 100#
Our smallest lamancha is over 120# scale weight.

Investing in a good scale is well worth the $.

Most of the people who say XYZ dewormer does not work are usually giving the meds willy nilly, are not dosing correctly, do not use the proper de-womer, do not know what parasite they are treating for, do not properly weigh the animals, and sometimes the animals do not have parasites at all and they are rather dealing with things like cocci or severe mineral deficiencies or just are not feeding the animals enough. Not saying this is happening in your situation, but I have personally seen this on other farms.
I know folks who always said safeguard is safe for the goat, and safe for the worm. Once they started using is correctly they changed their mind and realized it did work.

A few year ago I was called out to a farm because there was suspect herd management issues. The goats were very thin and tiny. Fecals were run on all the goats and kids, and surprisingly the results were pretty good, the goats were just not getting enough nutrition.

Another farm I visited years ago was having bad parasite issues. They couldn't understand it. I personally showed them how to run the fecals and identify the eggs. The wormers were not working because they were essentially using a half dose. Years later they are still battling parasites badly and won't get their own scope and would rather just guess. Money was not an issue in this situation.

Sorry for the long post, just giving some food for thought.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
THAT IS SHEEP DRENCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We don't use sheep drench. We use injectable given orally 1 cc/ 40 lbs. repeated in 14 days if needed. I'm not giving 30 cc of anything orally unless it is life or death. :)

While I don't have to worm my does and I have friends here that do and they use Ivermectin. I think that part of the problem is not getting the dose right due to not knowing their weight.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
my local vet said the ivermectin still worked well up here. He said I was to give it as an injection, and gave me the doses for my does.

I think talking to a GOOD and knowledgeable local vet is probably the best option. Different areas vary so widely in regards to worms and resistance.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK -- you are really into changing your avatar now! ;)

Ivermectrin has a pretty "safe" overdose level. As my vet says about dosage, we want to kill the worms not just stun them for a day. Many do not use enough, rven if it is what they should use. Product would work if they did.

My buck loves the stuff. He'll lick the tube for more :eek: But then, he IS a stinky buck!!:hu

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses that is too funny, some of mine do the same!

Right now I am worming my lamancha buck, a coming two year old.
He hates being wormed, I have to put my overalls on, jacket, and gloves. Run up and push him into the fence- all my weight against him, grabbing his face with on hand and drenching with the other. I love it when they make it easy for us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts