Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have tried 2 types of minerals. A couple of them will eat it, but most don't/won't. They do rather enjoy dumping over the bucket/bowl however so it's going into the soil every time it rains. So I guess the good is, eventually they'll get some benefit when they eat the grass in that area.

Maybe.. A large percentage of many mineral supplements is salt. Concentrated in one area, it usually kills grass.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, I took advantage of what deals I could. I had planned to visit both Hooters and Buffalo Wild Wings up in Texarcana, but I had to wait for the chickens to grow at Hooters so ran out of time. Had an appointment back here so had to miss out on BWW. Depending on how I feel in a couple of hours, I may or may not make the Applebees run I had planned. Right now I'm still pretty full so I imagine that's gonna be skipped as well. Golden Corral is doing their free buffet on Monday evening so I imagine I'll run back up to Texarcana for that.

I moved all the compost/spent hay from the pen to the new compost pile spot this afternoon and got a stinger in my left shoulder/neck. Kinda sucks. Not really all that painful, just annoying. Think I'll use the spa later tonight... maybe that will help it. Not much planned for tomorrow... gonna watch some football. My game is the late one.

Oh, there was a small herd of 4-6 deer way down in the back pasture the other afternoon. They weren't scared at all and were out there grazing for the better part of 3 hours. Even when I went out to the goat pen to feed them dinner, one doe stayed behind to graze. She finally went under the fence and into the creek bed/back woods right at dark. So while I was at TSC today I bought a couple bags of deer corn and a mineral block and put all that back there for them. I really enjoy seeing them back there. Something for the coyotes to chase and leave my animals alone ;)

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Late breaking news... I did the spa early and the heat helped process dinner from earlier, leaving room for a late night dinner at Applebees! I had a bowl of French onion soup, double crunch shrimp with fries and slaw, washed down with a double screwdriver. I hope to sleep well tonight. I return you now to your regular scheduled browsing.

tired.jpg
To be followed by
sleepdrool2.jpg

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, there was a small herd of 4-6 deer way down in the back pasture the other afternoon.
Thursday afternoon, I saw large herds of big deer along US59 in the area just south of the old burned area North of Jefferson but before ya get to Linden. They looked to be in very good shape considering the large numbers of oak trees that were killed in that 2011 wildfire.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well Mike, I do sleep, but it's in very short amounts of time unless I'm really burned out. Mostly I doze whenever I sit down so a couple hours at a time. Gosh GB, you were pretty far north... visiting your brother? How is he doing... Hopefully no/managed pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts