Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry Dave, but try as I might, I can't put terms to D.D. ?? :hu oh... designated driver? <DUH!> I'm a retired sailor (stories and rumors you may have heard/read may or may not be true :duc:hide) and weigh close to 300 pounds. I enjoy the flavor and catch zero buzz from that small amount. Takes quite a bit more than that to start impairing me. There was a time early in my naval career that I was on the verge of becoming an alcoholic. It runs in my family history, and I was/am well aware of it, so stopped myself before getting to that point. Now I rarely drink. When I choose to, it generally takes 5-6 shots (or more) over a short period of time for me to start feeling it (impairment) and I stop before I get to that point.

Well it has been a couple of cool, gray, damp days here. Fog moved in last night... cool air over warm wet ground. Fog is finally gone, but still real gray and forecast to stay that way for another day. Gloomy... Then I guess a little possible sunshine on Wednesday, followed by a couple more wet dreary days. Looking out the window, the sun is trying hard to burn through the gloom... But it's still looking mighty gray off to the west.

Had a good evening last night watching my team woop up on the Denver ponies. I don't know why, but it's so satisfying to see John Elway scowl... Maybe it's because they are one team that has seemed to give my team fits over the years... :idunno I don't know... Have you ever just not liked something or someone with no real identifiable reason?

So Golden Corral is having their Veterans dinner tonight and I had planned on participating. However, this gray weather has me debating on making the drive. I guess if I'm going to go I better decide pretty soon as it's already 3:30. I understand it's from 5 or 5:30 till 9 and it's an hour drive to get there.

So as many who read my journal know, I have this new Buck; RJ and if you read @Devonviolet 's journal, you know I have lent him to them so her two does can be serviced. He has already had his way with one of them, Falina, but I understand it was consensual... :gigI guess Ruby was not going to be a pushover/hussy and is going to make my boy wait and earn it. He was all over my milking doe Dot the night that I brought him home and even though that was only ~ 3 weeks ago, he's grown quite a bit. I wasn't sure (and still am not) if he successfully bred Dot or not. Well, it's been about 18 days since that happened so over the next few days I'll be watching her close to see if she goes back into heat.

Since I did the PB & copper sandwiches for the goats, I have noticed the hair along Bang's spine has become much darker... like black... and shiny. I'm really hoping it isn't my imagination and that they all see marked improvement over the coming weeks/months.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
And for another news flash... I did go to Golden Corral this evening for dinner. I went after goat chores and arrived just before 7pm. The dining area was crowded but there was no (more) line waiting to get in. I got seated with several other vets and we enjoyed a real nice meal together. Kinda reminded me of eating on the mess decks with the crew while aboard ship. There were a few older folks there, say Korea time frame. Didn't see any old enough to be WW II... most were around my age... Nam and later.

Not really sure why some folks don't care for it. The food is pretty decent depending on what you choose, and it is a buffet so you shouldn't leave hungry... :idunno

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most of the buffet type places I've been to all suffer the same fault. Everything is 'decent' or 'so-so' but there is rarely anything that stands out..no 'specialty' or outstanding dish or couple of entrees that would keep bringing me back again and again. Food for the masses without having to clean up afterward but I can do that at home on those 'gourmet heavy duty' paper plates .
Our Golden Corral went belly up for just that reason, and it is now a Chinese buffet... (the cat population seems a little smaller around there nowadays) :hide :epand so did the all you can eat buffet known as The Hot Biscuit--after being there for several decades. It is now an Italian food place and it is not a bad experience at all.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only minerals my goats will eat are SweetLix. They love those things. As far as bolusing...I gave up on all of it and use Multimin injectable. Some get injection site abscesses but if I get the injection in under all the layers of skin it doesn't happen. There is just no way I can bolus all these goats by myself. My next experiment will to buy individual minerals from Advanced Biological Concepts. They have a copper, a selenium, and a zinc which are the ones they seem to struggle with the most. I had a cobalt block out for them, they loved it. Lasted about 2 weeks with 40 goats.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I found a new mineral that seems to be working very well with my goats.
http://www.newcountryorganics.com/shop/files/index/download/id/1446492255/

Higher copper and has DE AND AND AND my goats eat it, not just come over and sniff and walk away but come over and dig in.

It is pricy and has to be shipped but even so the price plus shipping is less than the lower copper loose minerals I was buying locally... and I though those were good minerals with 1750 ppm on the copper.

Anything to avoid bolusing! The goats look better, soft, sleek coats and did I mention the goats eat the stuff. Doesn't matter how good your minerals are if the picky divas won't touch it.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have always heard that the goats will eat them if they need them so while mine we happily turning up their nose at them I thought it was because they didn't need them. But they looked horrible, I was giving Bo-Se before kidding and to newborns, and I lost a kid to a selenium deficiency. I switched brands of minerals and they think it is candy. All of them eat it.

Sweetlix is 1750 on the copper but I still do the multimin.
@animalmom I looked at that product and don't see a mention of how much copper or selenium is in it.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you can't find or get Sweetlix where you live, you might look in to one of the other brands the same company makes and markets in different regions.
Crystalyx, Stockade, Sweetlix, and Ultralyx are all made by Ridley Block Operations, with plant locations in:
Plant Locations
  • Buffalo, Texas
  • Fort Worth, Texas
  • Montgomery, Alabama
  • Pittsburg, Kansas
  • Flemingsburg, Kentucky
  • Stockton, California
  • Whitewood, South Dakota
  • Worthington, Minnesota
Follow the links at the bottom of the following web page for your specific wants and needs:
http://www.ridleyinc.com/our-company/divisions/ridley-block-operations/

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sun finally returned this afternoon. Just about perfect temp wise @ 72, but still real damp. More moisture forecast starting Wed night through Thursday and cloudy into Friday. Temps are supposed to stay on the warmer side though. Days in mid-upper 70s, nights upper 50s to low 60s.

Been a month since I turned the lawn tractor in for warranty repair. Finally tracked down the repair folks and they say it will be delivered back to Lowes on Thursday. While waiting for it, I bought one of those pull behind dump carts so I can use it to haul my tools and such around working the fencing. I'm sure I'll find lots of other uses for it as well.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
How much did the dump cart run ya....if ya don't mind me asking?....I've been thinking about getting one, but too many other things has gotten in the way of acquiring one....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts