1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Goat with teeth knocked out? - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Discussion in 'Member's "BackYardHerds" Journals' started by Latestarter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Jan 11, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Did you get the 8" rain gauge at the Martindale feed store?

2. Jan 11, 2019
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master Golden Herd Member

You are only 60 miles or so from us and we haven't gotten any rain at all.

3. Jan 11, 2019
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Yes Bay, I did, but it wasn't 8" as I thought, it's actually 5 inches. But the tube is so large and long it's easy to see where I have it mounted to a T-post in the yard. I'm assuming that blue ring you see resting at the bottom floats. Should make it even easier to see from a distance. The whole tube lifts out of the bracket (bracket zip tied to the T post) and the cup on top pops right out so easy to empty. I really like it.
    upload_2019-1-11_19-48-22.jpeg They had more there if you're looking for one. Through the front door, turn left, in a box in front of the front window.

I'll try to get some kid pics tomorrow. I'll post them over on my kidding thread.

4. Jan 11, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I already have one that goes to 5 inches. It has overflowed on more than one occasion.

5. Jan 11, 2019
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

Oh a new member in the herd! :welcome

Senile_Texas_Aggie and Rammy like this.
  6. Jan 12, 2019
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Damn kids! Went out this morning and found the little black one in with the boys. She's TOO YOUNG to be starting THAT! Couldn't find the silver one so got down on hands and knees in the poo mud and sure enough, she's up under the shelter. So I held the little black one all through the adult's breakfast to warm her up and then used her to lead Blackie back to where the silver one was underneath. They talked but the kid didn't move. So here I'm thinking I have no idea how long the kid has been under there, she's laying on a concrete patio block leaning against a vertical support, which is going to suck the heat right out of her, and there's no way my fat butt is getting under there to get her. Maybe she's too weak already to come out by herself?

So off to home depot I go to buy a 10' length of 3/4 PVC, A 50' length of parachute cord, and a straight connector for the PVC pipe. I had to cut the 10' pipe in 1/2 to get it home in the truck, hence the connector. Figured I'd pass a loop down through the pipe, snake it under there and snag a body part to drag her out.

So I get back home, head down to the goat pen and what do I find? There's silver, out with Blackie near the fence line inside the pen, and now the other one is up under the shelter. :he Well, good enough. Obviously they're trying to play goatie games with me. Nope, not playin'! I did see both kids drink from mom, so know that's covered at least. Came inside, stripped down all the muddy poo covered clothes and started a load of wash... And now here I am eating breakfast finally (three eggs over easy w/4 slices of bacon), with my standard mug of tea.

Was damp and foggy this morning doing chores, but when I got back from HD, the sun had come out and though windy, the sun is warm. I wonder what the folks at HD thought of my appearance (&/or odor)... all covered with muddy poo from holding the baby and crawling around in it. I didn't take time to clean up before I went. :gig Rained pretty steady last night/early this morning but we only got about 1/2", so I'm totally good with that!

The two RIRs with blukoted backs didn't have any further damage this morning. :fl the BO's have finished their velociraptor imitations. The one in the crate is scratching around, so good to see that. She still laid her egg yesterday as well. They really can be some pretty tough animals, even though they seem to die so easily... :idunno

CntryBoy777, Mike CHS, Rammy and 2 others like this.
  7. Jan 12, 2019
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

Those naughty little girls! Sounds like you need something to close off the bottom of the goat mansion.

8. Jan 12, 2019
    Rammy

Rammy Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Yeah. Good idea. Maybe some cinderblocks or bigbrailroad ties. Or maybe they were just playing hide and seek. :idunno

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  9. Jan 12, 2019
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

I was thinking field fencing. First thought of lattice but I bet the goats would have that chewed up before LS got out to feed them the next morning.

10. Jan 12, 2019
    Rammy

Rammy Herd Master Golden Herd Member

I was going to suggest lattice, too, but also figured the'd just eat it. Something unedible would be the best option.

Senile_Texas_Aggie likes this.