Let's Look at our Different Feeding Practices *GOATS*

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I will be lazy and not look up flaxseed so you flaxseed experts can share with me the fat/protein and fiber of the grain. The bag of BOss that I am almost out of is 9%protein/20%fat, oh shoot I forget the fiber. I will look when I get a chance.

maggies.family

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
BOSS.....what is it? I keep seeing it in almost every post.

Also, I just talked to the family we are getting our goats from and apparently they feed them Nutrena Naturewise Top Goat, does anyone know anything about it? Is it ok? Do you feel there is something better? If so, suggestions?

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
elevan said:
aggieterpkatie said:
I feed tin cans and newspaper. :D
:yuckyuck
:lol:

I know I said no one is wrong on this thread...but...
;)

aggieterpkatie, would you care to give your full feeding practices in addition to those cans and newspapers :lol:
Mine is pretty boring. I live in MD and have a few Oberhaslis. For my doe in milk I feed alfalfa, pasture, and a 16% dairy goat ration (a sweet feed *gasp* :lol:). For my young'uns I actually feed a medicated sheep feed b/c I also have sheep, and I give copper boluses to the goats. The buck gets hay only, but used to get a little grain when he was younger. Everyone gets hay, sometimes free choice (young animals) and sometimes not free choice just a set amount. And everyone is supplemented (when I have time) with trimmings from my Paper Mulberry hedge.....a very invasive weed which was used to feed deer in Islamabad where it is from. We have a crapload of it growing, and it's a favorite among the animals. Even the rabbit loves it!

herdnerd

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your valuable information. I have had my 2 Nigerian babies (18 and 10 weeks old) for two weeks. Almost everything I have learned has been from these forums. This thread in particular has been excellent. I am learning what I have not been doing and seeing what I have been doing right!

one question - how is flax seed a substitute for BOSS? I understand the price issue but nutritionally how are they similar (actually I can see how flax would be better).

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
herdnerd said:
Thank you everyone for your valuable information. I have had my 2 Nigerian babies (18 and 10 weeks old) for two weeks. Almost everything I have learned has been from these forums. This thread in particular has been excellent. I am learning what I have not been doing and seeing what I have been doing right!

one question - how is flax seed a substitute for BOSS? I understand the price issue but nutritionally how are they similar (actually I can see how flax would be better).
The high fat content.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
I will be lazy and not look up flaxseed so you flaxseed experts can share with me the fat/protein and fiber of the grain. The bag of BOss that I am almost out of is 9%protein/20%fat, oh shoot I forget the fiber. I will look when I get a chance.
I got impatient and looked it up...

Flax seed Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 2,234 kJ (534 kcal)
Carbohydrates 28.88 g
- Sugars 1.55 g
- Dietary fiber 27.3 g
Fat 42.16 g
Protein 18.29 g
Thiamine (Vit. B1) 1.644 mg
Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.161 mg
Niacin (Vit. B3) 3.08 mg
Pantothenic acid (B5) 0.985 mg
Vitamin B6 0.473 mg
Folate (Vit. B9) 0 μg
Vitamin C 0.6 mg
Calcium 255 mg
Iron 5.73 mg
Magnesium 392 mg
Phosphorus 642 mg
Potassium 813 mg
Zinc 4.34 mg

`````````````````````````````````````````````````

Black Oil Sunflower Seed kernels, dried Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 2,385 kJ (570 kcal)
Carbohydrates 18.76 g
- Sugars 2.62 g
- Dietary fiber 10.5 g
Fat 49.57 g
- saturated 5.20 g
- monounsaturated 9.46 g
- polyunsaturated 32.74 g
Protein 22.78 g
Thiamine (Vit. B1) 2.29 mg
Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.25 mg
Niacin (Vit. B3) 4.5 mg
Pantothenic acid (B5) 6.75 mg
Vitamin B6 0.77 mg
Folate (Vit. B9) 227 μg
Vitamin C 1.4 mg
Vitamin E 34.50 mg
Calcium 116 mg
Iron 6.77 mg
Magnesium 354 mg
Manganese 2.02 mg
Phosphorus 705 mg
Potassium 689 mg
Sodium 3 mg
Zinc 5.06 mg

journeysend

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have been reading this thread and I have a question, if you don't mind me asking. What is the maximum percentage of fat (from a pelleted feed) that you would feed to your goats? I have been looking at this feed, even though it's for horses, and there is a min of 10% fat... so is this too much? I don't supplement with BOSS or anything, except for Purina Goat Minerals free choice. For all those interested the feed is Purina Horseman's Edge Texture 10:10. I have dairy goats and they could use a little weight on them.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
journeysend said:
I have been reading this thread and I have a question, if you don't mind me asking. What is the maximum percentage of fat (from a pelleted feed) that you would feed to your goats? I have been looking at this feed, even though it's for horses, and there is a min of 10% fat... so is this too much? I don't supplement with BOSS or anything, except for Purina Goat Minerals free choice. For all those interested the feed is Purina Horseman's Edge Texture 10:10. I have dairy goats and they could use a little weight on them.
that is a good question, I would love to hear the experts opinions. I would think 4.5 on a regular basis would be plenty high enough. Just a guess.

Latest posts