Looking at cows to buy - newbies

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you should not consider her because she's imperfect as far as conformation is concerned. For most of us producers, legs and feet are important if an animal has a long way to travel from food to water. Improper structure can lead to issues like arthritis, worn joints, lameness, etc. But I believe in your situation you don't have this issue to contend with since it sounds like you don't have a big farm where she has to travel a half mile or more from pasture to water and back again, so I really would not worry about it.

It's not correctable, it is hereditary, and what causes it is poor genetics. Again, it will aggravate when she's a mature cow if she's got a long way to travel, and I believe even if she's on a hard surface all her life (like the concrete floors most dairy cows in conventional systems have to live with). It also may cause issues with her hooves, since she probably won't wear them evenly and may need trimming regularly, particularly when she reaches adulthood. But generally if she's not on concrete, doesn't have far to travel nor has to be on her feet most of the time, it may be just another fault to live with.

Her back legs sure look a bit better than the other heifer, that's for sure! :)

Udder doesn't look too bad, nice ligament structure in the back, but the rear teats a little too close together for my liking. But since, I believe, she's not being put on a machine this also shouldn't be something to worry too much about.

And though she is in not the greatest condition, IMO she looks a little bit better conditioned than the first heifer you looked at.

She should be bred to a calving-ease bull, being either Jersey or Dexter, or if you're looking for freezer beef, a proven calving-ease Angus bull.

And certainly she will fill in with some good feed, not to mention good grass!

The fact that she's really docile is a huge plus for you folks. But those horns do need to be tipped, regardless if she is or seems really careful or not. I've never heard of banding then, just dehorning by cutting, sawing or burning.

BeanJeepin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You're right, we don't have far for her to go. We have 4ish acres and with some of it woods, the grass, hay, water and shelter (and attention) for her will all be in a smaller area (that we're hoping to expand as we cut back the woods some, but not too far, certainly not a half mile, and it'll be her choice how far she goes, not something she HAS to do). I like to think she might have it sort of good here.

We've discussed machine milking, but do not have a machine. We've been hand milking the goats. It'd be nice if we could eventually machine milk, but we do have the ability to hand milk. If we have to machine milk two teats at a time, that's an option too.

She is careful with the horns, but we ARE looking into getting rid of them. It was easy to see how she could even accidentally hurt someone with them, good as she is.

Thank you, we really appreciate you looking over the pictures and your input. Honestly we've fallen in love since she's what we'd hoped for and are trying to distance ourselves from that to look at the whole picture. It's a huge investment of time, money and heart as you well know so we do want to make a good decision.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
For a family cow she looks fine. Those front legs won't be and issue as I don't think you plan on showing her. She could certainly use some more weight on her but with a few month of good food and care she should improve. Those hooves certainly need some attention and her coat a good brushing at least.
Since you have to breed her to get milk, I would go with an Angus with a proven low birth weight. It will make a good freezer beef and a little profit on the side.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just a word of caution for those milking a family cow, goats, or sheep. In a TV broadcast in N Oregon, an organic farm was selling RAW milk to their customers for a number of years. It seems that there are now quite a few of their customers and their children are now infected with e-coli and in hospitals, some in very serious condition. :barnie The State Labs have tested the cows udders, milking equipment and housing that were found to have high concentrations of e- coli. :ep State officials are always recommending pasturization of all milk from all family cows, goats, sheep. :old

redtailgal

Reaction score
My hubby, both my boys and I all grew up on raw milk, and not once did we get sick. If you milk a clean udder and use clean equipment, you'll be fine. Use HOT water to wash your equipment, and remember that the udder is below the pooper, so clean it well and keep the skin from drying out and having open sores.

I have a buddy in Kansas who was infected from E-coli, and end up in ICU. He got it from a bag of salad that he bought at the Grocery store.

Coon's are smart enough to wash it before they eat. It's that simple.

As for the cow:

I'm so glad that you liked her. The fact that you like her so much, tells me that you need to seriously consider getting her.

A few thought for you to consider:

Her feet look awful. I HIGHLY recommend that you locate someone who can trim her feet. I've looked at and studied her feet and legs, and I honestly think that a foot trim would correct some of the legs issues that we are seeing. Her hooves are grown to the point that she can't stand properly. SHe hasnt been able to wear them down properly because she's been tied to the same area that is obviously soft and muddy by the looks of her coat.

Do you know what sort of worming routine her owner follows? If she is wormed regularly and has been tied to a post, you are looking at some resistant worms for sure. It's not a big deal, but requires a little planning on your part. Find out what the previous owner worms with, and DONT use that. When you bring her home, put her in a place that she will not be permanently, tie her out for a day or two if you need too. WOrm her and let her shed out her resistant worms there, THEN put her in your pasture. This way you dont infect your pasture with resistant worms. You could possibly tie her in this location each time you worm her, to help keep your pasture "clean" from resistant parasites.

As for her being thin, yes, she does need some groceries, but I think she is more in need of some muscle development. Tied cattle dont move around enough to develop the large muscles and often look thin.

Just so you know, I think that these problems, the feet, the worms, and the thinness all go back to being tied. Once her feet are timmed properly, and she is given pasture to move around on, you will likely not need to trim her feet again.

At her age, with some proper care and a good pasture, she should fill out enough to give you some calves, if you are careful in your sire selection.

I would probably giver her a go.

ETA: horns. I dont like the banding method, but mostly because I'm not good at it. I would call the vet, price having him removed the horns and decided from there. I'll earn some grief for saying this, but I'd keep a horned cow before I'd band a horn.

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
I must've missed the part where she was actually tied up and not in an fenced area... :/ But yeah, that's part of the reason for her bad feet, so with some hoof trimming like everyone else encourages and room around to walk on your farm, she'll likely feel a lot better. I know she'll love the extra room to run around in! :D

So if I were you I'd go ahead with the purchase. She seems like she'll do well for you. :)

mangus580

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input!

One other question... What do you think about the $700 asking price?

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
I dunno about what the others would think, but that sounds reasonable...doing some quick math it seems like the owner is asking for $1/lb, which is a little less than the going price for beef heifers about the same weight. So yeah, sounds reasonable for a dairy heifer.

See what the others think though. ;)

mangus580

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
WildRoseBeef said:
I dunno about what the others would think, but that sounds reasonable...doing some quick math it seems like the owner is asking for $1/lb, which is a little less than the going price for beef heifers about the same weight. So yeah, sounds reasonable for a dairy heifer.

See what the others think though. ;)
Thats exactly what they are working from.

I am considering offering a little less, just as she originally listed her as 'best offer'...

Also debating, they have a surge milker in the barn... debating asking to have that tossed in the deal as well... Not sure I want to mess with it for just one cow, and 2 goats though.