1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Let's start this week fun. Submit your Horse Humor - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

lookout for colors

Discussion in 'Breeds & Breeding - Sheep' started by newton the goat, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Apr 25, 2017
    newton the goat

newton the goat True BYH Addict

I absolutely love my colors in my flock so far, and I can't wait to see what my young ram has to offer, but I honestly would like to add some darker colors. I was reading goatgurls post from back in 2015-16 where she had an absolutely gorgeous black katahdin ram that looked almost like a black angus, leased to her. I know many people who are on here are mainly down in the states, but does anyone know where I can buy either a black ewe or lease a black ram? And would anyone in the states lease to me? Is it worth it do you think? Or just too much money to borrow a ram and bring him down here?

2. Apr 25, 2017
    Bossroo

Bossroo True BYH Addict

Have you checked with USDA and the Canadian import/ export what rules and regulations are ??? The Veterinary exams and quaranteen requirements can get quite pricey.

promiseacres likes this.
  3. Apr 25, 2017
    newton the goat

newton the goat True BYH Addict

No I haven't yet, I'll check them out... see if it's worth it in the end. Which if what you are saying is true and it's gets quite pricey, I doubt I'll be able to afford it

4. Apr 28, 2017
    Sheepshape

Sheepshape True BYH Addict

In most sheep breeds a black fleece is recessively inherited (but by fairly simple Mendelian inheritance).....so it is quite possible foe a white fleeced ram and ewe to have a black fleeced lamb. it also means a black ram and white ewe may well produce all white fleeced lambs (though they'll carry the 'black gene')

Just as another suggestion, look around for someone whose ram has produced dark lambs. Maybe you won't get black lambs the first time round, but a second generation would.

promiseacres likes this.
  5. May 4, 2017
    goatgurl

goatgurl Herd Master

what kind of sheep do you have? the colored sheep I have are katahdins. I don't know how well they do in Canada. go to my journal to see the spotted lambs I've had so far this year. they're cuties.

6. May 5, 2017
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Something else that might work for you is Artificial Insemination. We looked into it and found semen but couldn't find a local that was qualified to perform the procedure.

7. May 16, 2017
    Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 Overrun with beasties