Thatdaywewokeupasfarmers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone for the ideas and support. Further investigation revealed that the grain was in fact moldy. It was a very fine white mold that couldn't be seen unless you really inspected it closely. While I'm glad to know now what was wrong and that it can be prevented in the future with more careful storage practices, I sure wish I could have discovered it all sooner.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry you ended up finding out in the manner you did :(

Very hard to loose goats- I'm sorry you went through that :hugs:hugs

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even the painful answers can be better than none. :hugs Hoping that you can get a new friend for your goat and that you share pictures
with us. We like pictures. :D

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry you lost your goats :( At least you were able to find the cause, instead of always wondering why...

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Im so sorry :hugs

We use a small metal trashcan to store our grain, keeps it dry and the animals can't get into it.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Thatdaywewokeupasfarmers,
So often I see folks join up when they have problems, issues, and stress with their animals. They see caring and knowledgeable ppl on here that give them good answers and solutions, and they stick around when things clear up and get better to enjoy the interaction with the community. I pray you will be at that stage soon. Best wishes in your endeavors and welcome to BYH from the Hoosier state!

Thatdaywewokeupasfarmers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Update on Rosie: Ohio has been predictably unpredictable lately. After enjoying 70+ degree weather for half the "winter" we are now experiencing winter with a vengeance a week before spring. Joy. Anyway, every time there is a cold snap, Rosie spends a lot of time in the barn. I'm not sure what she's doing in there, but it seems like every time she is cooped up in there she gets scours. It's just like for an hour and then she's back to passing normal stools. Could eating too much straw mess her up like that? (The hay is right there-- hanging in a bag just for her-- yet she chooses to eat the straw that is supposed be her bedding! Weirdo.) Is it something I should watch closely? Maybe I'm just paranoid because of what happened to Sissy and Harper, but I worry. I'm a goat mom, it's my job to worry, right?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can remove and replace all the bedding in the stall/barn area she's in to "freshen" it? As long as she recovers from it quickly, :idunno and is in good health/spirits, is there really an issue? :hu:hide

Latest posts