Major bloat and possible goiter?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your vet was being realistic. You should thank her for being upfront and honest about a difficult situation. I love my sheep, but I cannot justify spending $1,000 on a $250 ewe that isn’t registered, is a grade ewe. It doesn’t make financial sense. I certainly don’t want any of my animals to suffer, I take good care of them and I love them. Sometimes you have to put emotions to the back burner and common sense to the front. We know you are doing the best you can.

At least she explained things to you and gave you choices, instead of rushing to the rescue, which might result in a dead goat anyway, then present you with a big fat bill.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a $400 horse once who got an abcessed tooth. Vet #1 wanted me to take him to Texas A&M and spend several thousand on treatments. Uhhhh...... no. Vet #2 gave me a bunch of antibiotics in huge pills, cost $125. I put him up, crushed the bolus, mixed with Karo syrup and loaded the goop in a large syringe. I dosed him every day for a month. The abscess went down, he healed and was just fine.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Your vet was being realistic. You should thank her for being upfront and honest about a difficult situation. I love my sheep, but I cannot justify spending $1,000 on a $250 ewe that isn’t registered, is a grade ewe. It doesn’t make financial sense. I certainly don’t want any of my animals to suffer, I take good care of them and I love them. Sometimes you have to put emotions to the back burner and common sense to the front. We know you are doing the best you can.

At least she explained things to you and gave you choices, instead of rushing to the rescue, which might result in a dead goat anyway, then present you with a big fat bill.

Thank you! Not many understand. Red is an unregistered Boer Doe. She is the most loving and kind goat and has beautiful kids. She was $150 dollars. I am unfortunately not in the business for the $1000 registered goat sales. I in no way want her to suffer and will do everything I am capable of, within my limits. I'm appreciative of the vets honesty.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I guess the vet is fairly sure they know what's going on via the phone. I'm sorry. Good luck.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a buck kid last year that got "choke"
We were able to gavage him with an aquarium air hose and blow air to get the food obstruction out. We always mix some dry shredded beet pulp in our feed and we figured he must have ate too much. We watch that a lot closer now with young ones.

Now with a sever case of bloat you can take a large needle and syringe and insert through their side into the rumen to let air out. I've never done it but I think Goat Whisperer and SBC have done it before.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
As far as your vet, it shouldn't cost that much to treat the animal if it's choke or bloat. Especially if you take her to the vet.
You should get her up and move her around. We had one real bad one time that we loaded up to take to the vet. When we got to the vet all to of the jostling in transport helped her pass some gas.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Update. Called vet to come make a visit.
They "deflated her" and it was all gas, no foam. Gas came out for 1 min 30 sec. Guess that's alot?

Without imaging she is unsure about the large lump on throat. She says that when she tubed her she did not feel anything against tube in esophagus. That leads her to believe it's not an obstruction .

She is attempting to drink water in small sips. Vet says she is the one not wanting to burp or bring up food to chew cud. Vet feels something is making her throat hurt.

Gave banamine, along with 3 additional doses to give over the next couple days.
She says b co.plex wont hurt. I also have Duramycin, she says antibiotics won't hurt either.

At this point, without imagin, throw it all at "this weird mass" and see if anything helps.

Latest posts