Major bloat and possible goiter?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just curious - but did the vet pay much attention to the mass? I wonder if it could be swelling and partially cutting off her ability to belch. Is she ruminating? Did the vet, by chance, try to aspirate anything from the lump? I know you mentioned earlier that you'd been reading up on hematomas. I know this has got to be making you a bit crazy - it would me! Just hope it can resolve itself!

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So she is 100% bloated again. Husband was not successful in belching tonight. She is not alert.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am sorry to read about your difficulties with your doe.

Our very first goat is still here... with a huge growing solid mass on her neck. She still gets around fine and is currently happy, but I wont wait too long once she is not. Our vet had done a C-section on her many years ago and we retired her from breeding after that, she has earned her keep over the years, taught us tons and allowed us to learn and make the mistakes we made as 'new kids' in the hobby farm field will do, and she has definitely earned the benefit of being let go when the time comes....

Just sharing to let you know that we understand trying as much as you can do, doing as much as you can afford, and we also understand the choices and the hard stuff that follows if that isn't enough or if there is no helping them in the end.

Still hoping for a little miracle for you.... but we (BYH) are here for you either way. :fl

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I lost my sweetheart ewe to a ruptured pre pubic tendon and had to put her down. I was shattered. I couldn't have made it without the love and support from my BYH friends.
Many of us have been where you are now. We are your support team, no matter what the outcome. We are here for you.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Tuesday update. Red is still here. We have had to belch her every 2 days at the minimum. It is getting worse each time. Last night we thought she aspirated so bad she was gone. It was VERY painful seeing that. I won't let her go theough that again. She has taken a liking to an old truck in the field. Won't even come to the barn for food anymore. She was always our most loving, friendly, bouncing personality of a goat. She wanted to be loved. Yesterday my son (this is his goat) fed her apple slices, she ate them. Tonight he couldn't even get her to the barn without her collapsing to her belly. She is bloated again. Choked on a small sliver of apple, that she really wanted. He tried to go to her again with more apple and she ran away. She doesn't even want to be near us anymore. It is very sad. And it is almost like she wants her own space to end her own way. My husband has given her a week, and we are taking it day by day. Tomorrow might be the day we send her away. My heart hurts. :(:hit

Thank you who all understand what we are going through.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for all of you, watching her change like that so quickly hurts your heart...god bless you all and god bless Red :(...we are here with you :hugs