Mamaboid-Bad day turned out a whole lot better than it could have.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I got Narragansett turkeys this year and I love them. Very personable with wonderful personalities.

Enjoy your new goat!

We lost a lot of meaties this year, mostly due to heat.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
You cannot go wrong with turkeys. I love mine! My big Tom is such a sweetie. He actually comes up to our porch to talk to us through the French doors.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey all :frow

Been gone a while, just wanted to check in and say hi. Been crazy busy with sister, raising chicks, baby goats, turkeys, and family visits from other states. Hope to get back to being around regularly soon. Til then hope everybody is having a great summer.

BJ

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Was just thinking about you today. I've missed you! :hugs Hope everything is well up your way.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Good Morning everybody :frow

I haven't been on here in months, so just wanted to say hey to all. It has been a very busy summer. My sister had both of her knees replaced, so I spent a great deal of my summer at her place staying and helping her out. She is doing well and coming along nicely with them. Other than that, the biggest thing that has been happening around here is the stupid predators we have been dealing with all summer. We have a pack of coyotes, a bobcat, a family of red tail hawks, an eagle, and a red fox from hell. Since June we have lost over 40 chickens. The worst offender is this stupid fox. He has been seen several times chasing our chickens, but he is smart. He never shows himself when we are home where we can get our hands on a gun, he waits I swear til he sees our car leave the drive. His time on earth is limited, he will mess up. I call him the dead fox walking.

We have a flock of wild turkeys that have insinuated themselves into my flock. It is funny to look out in the field and see chickens, ducks, guineas, my tame turkeys, and 4 great big wild tom turkeys. They show up every morning when I let the birds out, and stay here most of the day with them. They are relatively tame, don't run when we go out unless we get right up close to them.

The goats are doing great. Dandy and Sherry, the last two born are growing like weeds. They are already almost 5 months old if you can believe that. The triplets born last January are staying VERY small. I am fearing that we may not ever be able to breed Erin and Elizabeth because they are just tiny. I will try and get some up to date pics of all the kids and post them so you can see how small they are. We had Elsie and Sunny in with Dude all summer, and they are both hopefully bred since the last week in August, and Stephanie and Dusty who had kids in May are now in with Eli and hopefully they should be bred before long. It takes Eli a bit longer to get things done as he moves so slowly. He still faints at the drop of a hat, or a leaf, or rain, or anything else that startles him even the least little bit. His kids are all easy fainters also.

Well, that is about all from here for now, but I will try and get back a lot more often now that things have settled down a bit. Oh, one last thing. As I was sitting here typing, I heard a peep peep from the kitchen, and the first two of my 36 egg hatch have made their entrance into the world this morning. There are EE, RIR, Sebright, and who knows what mixes in the hatch so it should be interesting.

Hope all is well with all of you. I am going to try and catch up on your journals in the next few days.

The camera is down for now, but will be putting it back in service as we get closer to goat births in the next few months.

BJ

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey all :frow

Been back and lurking and posting for a few days now, but just finally got around to the journal. So how is everybody?

We are getting ready for kidding here the last week of January. Hoping to have the camera back up and running in a few days. Sunny, Mini Nubian FF, is due Jan. 22. Thinking probably only 1 but could have twins in there. Elsie, 4 yr old FBFainter, due Jan 25. This is her third kidding and she had twins and trips, thinking only twins this year, but she could surprise me. Brandy, my Kiko/Nubian 2 yr. old who I have had problems with is finally bred and doing well. She miscarried last year and it took a while to get her back into a good condition. Now she is due for March 5, and she is HUGE! This will be her second kidding, she had a single when she was too young and then the baby was not taken from her. She got really run down and it really took almost 2 full years to get her back into good shape. I am thinking at least trips from her and wouldn't be at all surprised to find more than that in there.

I have a kidding thread up and running and will keep everybody updated. Hope all is going well for all of you. More later.

BJ