Margali's Griffin Wood Ranch

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since you are in Texas, or any state with a high heat climate, the important thing is to make sure that not too many of the windows get full western sun. Eastern exposure heats up the house in the am but by keeping blinds down or adding covered deck you can keep sun exposure to a minimum. You really don't want a western exposure since it will be almost impossible to keep temps down in the summer, causing you to run the AC at lower temps.

We have an east/west exposure on our house here in southern California. The east side of the house is all bedrooms and one bathroom which is fine in both summer and winter. The western exposure is the MBR, living room, family room, kitchen, and main entertainment patio. Even though we have trees along that side of the house, the western sun hits the house and patio as it sets which means that we can't use the patio for certain hours because the setting sun beats in on us as it drops under the tree canopy. The sunsets are lovely but in summer it gets too hot. We had to extend the overhang on the west side. This helps on all rooms except the MBR (where we only have a palm tree).

Also remember that the sun sets in the north west in the summer and the south west in the winter so you need to take those directions into account too. Suggest you take some camp chairs out and set them up in the areas where the living room windows will face. Sit in them as the sun sets as well as different times during the day to judge if you should reposition the house. Even a few feet can make a difference one way or another in shade from the existing trees.

So happy you will not be living in the RV much longer. After a while, the charm and excitement starts to fade! :lol: And quarters can get cramped leading to :smack! LOL

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
The kids bedroom will have only East facing window. Their up at the crack of dawn on weekends already. 🤣 Master bedroom will be on west end with windows facing south. Eventual plan is solar shade fabric or cling tint on all the windows.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So writing to mortgage company saying house hasn't been set yet and probably not by 1st payment date got things moving! We have 3 loads of fill already delivered to land. Grading and compacting will be done Monday. :)
Way to go..... sometimes money is the motivator... and the mtg company wants to start getting paid....and they may be putting pressure as in lawsuit/lawyer threats... to get things going along. Doesn't matter how.... as long as it is getting done.....:yesss::yesss::highfive::highfive:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another thing, don’t put even one stick of furniture in the home until EVERYTHING is to your satisfaction. If you move in, that is accepting delivery and set up.

A friend of mine couldn’t get the mobile home dealer to finish set up. It went on for a couple of months. She called mortgage company to complain. They pointedly asked her if she had moved in and she said no. They then told her if she had moved in, there was nothing they could do. But since she hadn’t moved in, she hadn’t “accepted “ it. In a very short time, everything was done.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Week 5 Update
- I did some more clearing of access roads thru property.
- We have posts set and electric panel made up.
- The house pad in progress, finally.

I'm still waiting for the online / corporate US Postal Service to acknowledge our new street address. The local office is delivering our mail but I can't update address for bills.🤬 It's only been a month?!

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Getting an address used to be just putting up a mailbox and the next day the mailman put a note in it with your address. Things have changed.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hasn't been that easy here in a long time. I bought this land 21 yrs ago. Was a crop field for years. Driving to it I was thrilled the mailboxes were on my side of road as I passed current houses. Had my driveway put in and put up a post. Went to planning for an address, a 25 mile drive. Several offices later, got into correct one. Ask for addy. After some time, told person who assigns wasn't there. Explained my Drive time and need, still a no go. Then, I asked what they would do if this person quit it died.....? I got a blank stare. My stare went back to them....along with, let's find the supervisor!

Left with an address, about 45 min later. Happily drove home and installed my mailbox. 😁 Made sure it was height and distance needed. Two days later I found a note from postal. Box on wrong side of road! Move it! 🤔:idunno:idunno Seems those I pass coming in are delivered by one city route and I am the last person on a different city route, coming from other end of road. Sure enough, coming to home from other end.....no houses for over 1/2 mile....all boxes across road. :lol: I'm about 1500' over the line.