babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, and I was milking two goats at a time. The stands were close enough to each other so I could reach both goats at the same time. Even when milking in the parlor I have to occasionally pull down on the inflations, just depends on the goat, but I am milking 4 at a time so it can get a little crazy. I seldom strip them at the end but I have a few that don't milk out all the way with the machine so I do finish them by hand. Clear shells are a must in my opinion, can't imagine milking with stainless ones where I can't see the teat. When I get rich I will change out all the milking clusters in my parlor to GEA Capri-twin and if I was bucket milking again I would go with the GEA top flow.

https://www.gea.com/en/products/milking-cluster-topflow.jsp

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
So this is not electric and has no pulsator? I mean, there are several vac systems out there, hand op. Have heard various comments about whether or not it "damages" the udder, teats, etc.

Any comments, from anyone ?

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I personally wouldn’t go with anything non pulsating unless it was for very occasion use- like relieving a doe after birth twice or something.

I’ve been using a Surge bucket milker that has been refurbished for the last 4 years. Got all new hoses and inflations this year. I’ve rebuilt the pulsator once. (Super easy!)

I milk two goats at once. I bought mine from a friend of a friend who got it refurbished off eBay for her dairy cow but ended up putting calves on her instead and didn’t need it. $350 with the vacuum pump set up for a cow. I had to buy a set of Nigerian inflations and she already had the longer hoses for the goats. I milk 6-14 every morning year around. Sometimes use it at night and sometimes hand milk since Inisually have less a night due to some on OAD milking and some with babies nursing during the day.

I’ve loved it and can’t complain.

Attachments

• CDF15861-DFF4-466D-9AF6-C2DE1A7A8261.jpeg
    CDF15861-DFF4-466D-9AF6-C2DE1A7A8261.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 114
  • F336F3CA-45CB-4DF6-B909-6A723DC1EFDE.jpeg
    F336F3CA-45CB-4DF6-B909-6A723DC1EFDE.jpeg
    312.4 KB · Views: 119

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hmmmm....at least they are the smaller gals -- still a LOT of milk each day!
Not all small.
Right now I'm milking 3 LMs, 1 FF Saanen, and 7 Nigerians. Just dried up 2 Nigerians, sold one, and sold a LM. I was getting 3ish gallons in the AM at peak. And a lot of times that was a 10 hour fill not 12.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Fullhousefarm Can I see the vacuum pump? I am looking for a used one for a friend and not giving up my portable one in case of a catastrophic failure and I have to milk 50 goats with it some morning. (Heaven forbid)!!!!!!! Just curious as to what you have.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve come up with another question for y’all... do milk machines have the ability to measure individual production? I know that some cattle systems can but it’s a computer process...